Vacation Nightmare

slatka_sarah

slatka_sarah

Hello! I originally posted this in another discussion area, then later thought it would be more proper to post here.

I'm looking for some direction with vacation planning (to say the least!).

My husband and I decided to group up with the brother and sister in laws for vacation this year. We love hanging out together, we get along great, etc. My sister-in-law and I both have babies who are 8 months old. My sister-in-law also has a toddler (just giving the background info for now).

Having said all that, the original plan was for the 4 of us to go to the beach. Any beach. Then my 4-year old niece was put in the picture, which is fine, I love her to death. So now it's the 5 of us. Not only are we all on different pages as far as which location to go to, which place is cheapest, which place is too far, which place is closer, etc. THAT conversation alone turned into an ugly monster, because nobody can agree on a place.

Issue #2 is that I have such a heavy heart thinking of leaving my son. I work 40 or more hours a week, so when I DO have time with him, or have the opportunity to be with him, I won't let anything get in my way of doing so. A part of me could care less if we go on vacation because I want to just be with the baby. I know it sounds selfish, but it's how I feel. I made this clear to everyone. Now - my husband is irritated beyond belief, my brother-in-law is just frustrated, and now my sister-in-law wants to bring HER little baby to the BEACH. Really? How is that even a vacation then? How will he get his 2 naps in? What about his bedtime?

This all so complicated at this point, I really don't want to go anywhere. My husband AND brother-in-law not only work full time, but are full-time students as well, and desperately NEED a vacation. I suggested just the 2 of them go away somewhere but, but now I think that just opened a new can of worms :rolleyes:

Any suggestions? Many thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

I had a very similar issue last August. I arranged a trip with 2 of my closest friends and my boyfriend, and then the whole thing turned into a nightmare. Everyone started to want completely different things and almost no one was willing to compromise, and then I was left in the middle of it, with everyone angry at me. I started to wish there was no vacation.:mad:

That beach house idea sounds pretty good, if you can find something reasonably-priced. That way everyone can spend time together, but then they can also go off and do their own thing.

It's unfortunate how many problems a simple vacation can cause among a group of people who would normally get along. :/

• 2 weeks later...
Kentucky Jelly

I do the beach house thing in North Carolina with some friends. The key is to have one person set it up and make the decisions. Lets say that person is you. You tell everyone, this is where we are going, this is the place we have picked out, check it out, if you want to go this is how much you will need to put in, if you don't want to go I need to know by such and such a date. OR you say this is the place my Spouse and I are going to be staying. There are other houses in the neighborhood that are available at the same time if you want to go.

We have been doing this for years and we now have a house we like that we go to every year and all the drama has sort of settled down.

This is exactly why I hate group vacationing. Too many negotiations with too many people. Can't you and your husband just have fun on your own?