feeling stuck

Lately I've been feeling down about everything.The Goo Goo Dolls are going to Boston next month and I really wanted to go see them since its my birthday next month.Someone in my family said to me that she was going to go to a concert but I stopped and thought to myself,shes going to a concert but cant take me to see the Goo Goo Dolls? And she knows I like them too and that I always dreamed of seeing them.Im going to be miserable if I cant go and see them.Thats what I want for my birthday this year tickets for the Goo Goo Dolls.I hope my wish comes true.Or else I will think about it and feel miserable.

What really upsets me is there is no way for me to get around unless if I pay for a taxi everywhere and my mother wont let me to Boston alone.I asked my mother many times if she could go to at least one concert with me and my therapist even tried to talk her into it.

I wish I had more friends.I would have more options instead of being stuck at home all the time.If something doesnt happen quick then I might just ask around at work and see if anyone wants to go.Im really tired of being stuck.I feel trapped cause there are things I want to get out and do but cant cause my mother is to overprotective,I guess.If I get to see the Goo Goo Dolls then I'll smile again.I did read that they were breaking up,thats why I want to see them so much.

Patty

Ask around if anybody's going to that concert. instead of a taxi, you can take a train or a bus, can't you?

if your therapist says it's OK for you to go to a concert, and you have $ for a ticket, i don't see why you shouldn't go.

how far is Boston from where you live?

good luck,

-yes

Patty I think you posted about this a couple of months ago, didn't you? I remember suggesting that you take a look at the commuter rail line that goes into Boston. I forget which town you live in but go here http://www.mbta.com and find the right line. Look at the schedule and see if there are trains that will work with the concert schedule. Good luck!

patty cakes --

check with your co-workers, maybe you'll scare up a companion or two who also would like to go to the concert, but don't have anyone to travel with. Or, maybe someone from church wouldn't mind going with you.

as for your cousin, talk with her. Mention to her that you understand she's going to the concert, and that you'd like to attend, but your mom won't let you go alone ... maybe you could hook up with her.

good luck, and I hope you get to go. I missed out seeing Sting a couple of years ago in Dallas because the two guys I'd counted on let me down when I was counting on them. Just keep your hopes up, and in the meantime, ask around. Something will work out.

jo anne

• Author
How old are YOU?

I just checked out the train schedule but dont understand it so I'll print it out and have my therapist look at it and help me with it.I read it several times I just dont understand the schedule and stuff.

Thanks everyone and Midori,thanks for resending the train schedule again cause I lost it before.But now, I have it saved to my desktop so I wont loose it.I think having that will come in handy someday.I think it will come in very handy once I learn how to use it and understand it.

Patty

Originally posted by NEONINK

If you could spring money for the tickets, why not ask your therapist to go with you?

Therapists & clients usually don't socialize. It's actually rather taboo, and can interfere with the therapeutic relationship. Therapists aren't supposed to be figures in the clients' personal lives.

Patty- I'm all for you gaining some independance- but I am a lil wary of you going off alone at night w/ an unfamiliar train schedule in hand. Once you have subway/train map reading down pat- it's easy- but you should be w/ someone when you first start doing it alone- regardless of age- you could get lost, get freaked out, disoriented, especially at night. If you do start taking the trains, I would suggest trial runs during the day when you're in no rush, so you have time and no worries if you do get lost...ideally, but not necessarily, w/ a companion.

I do understand your situation, in part at least- it seems your major time out of the house is at work, where you haven't met anyone you can really socialize w/ (I would try harder on this- as new people come aboard)- and your mom is overprotective and it appears she does not take you to outside activities- is this b/c you avoid other people or b/c she does not want to take you anywhere? For instance, take some craft classes- I made great friends in a pottery class I took after work- perhaps, something you could do on the weekend- an exercise class or something? Anything your mother is wanting you to do that could get you out of the house? It would then be as though you're doing it for your mom, while you're looking to make some friends- who...as friends can have cars...could make travel w/out your mom more of an option to you.

• Author
is this b/c you avoid other people or b/c she does not want to take you anywhere? For instance, take some craft classes- I made great friends in a pottery class I took after work- perhaps

She doesnt like driving to Boston.And thats where the concerts always are.So it makes it hard.Thanks for your ideas.My therapist had the same idea as you and is looking into a program for me where I can meet people and make more friends.I havent started the program yet.But hopefully soon.They do activities together such as cooking and playing cards and stuff.Maybe I just need to make more friends.

Patty

Patty- that makes sense w/ your mom.

The program sounds like a good idea. Let us know how it goes if you start it! Good luck!

oh, back to your cousin...maybe you can offer her some money for taking you there and back to the concert...sometimes money has that effect...a lil persuasive push.

• Author
The program sounds like a good idea. Let us know how it goes if you start it! Good luck!

[color=darkred] Thanks! I will. :) [/color]

Patty