My rude brother

Hi everyone, I want some advice how to deal with a VERY rude and abnoxious brother (he is younger than me, 13 yrs old to be exact). Whenever my mom talks or tries to talk to him its like she is invisible and he does not listen. When my mom is talking to me and he is sitting in the back seat he will go like "shut up your annoying stop talking!" He spends hours playing video games and when we tell him he has to go to sleep he will say "OK!!! ILL GET OFF SHORTLY!" and you wake up 6 in the morning and guess who is still playing video games....He gets mad very easily and starts SCREAMING cuss words at my youngest sibling and is acting VERY immature. He also won't talk when he is mad which is very annoying (silent treatment..)

So basically: He doesn't listen to my parents

Has an attitude problem

Curses a lot

Wont go to sleep on time

Gets annoyed for no reason, tells my mom to stop talking when she is talking to me and when say his friends might be talking he is silent... what is wrong with his kid???! How do i deal with this degenerate?? My mom will act nice towards him and she get a big "**** you" to the face. I try to ask nicely whats wrong he says shut up and go...

• Author

I hope so! I don't like spending time baby sitting him and trying to tell him to behave himself!

Oh and I noticed a typo or two in the original post but it won't let me edit.

Like "whats wrong with This kid..."

Edited by Bon

Has he started a new school or something? Is there a chance he is being bullied, or dealing with some other traumatic situation of which you and your parents may not be aware?

Tan is right -- but you could suggest to your parents to do what they can to rule out that it's anything more serious than just "terrible teens".

Er. It's also that there is ineffective parenting going on, yes? Cos your brother IS STILL a child and your mom appears to have lost control / abrogated her responsibilities. In any case, it's not your burden or problem to solve...it's on both your parents. Maybe you can have a private chat with your dad, and voice your concerns?

• Author
Has he started a new school or something? Is there a chance he is being bullied, or dealing with some other traumatic situation of which you and your parents may not be aware?

Tan is right -- but you could suggest to your parents to do what they can to rule out that it's anything more serious than just "terrible teens".

Er. It's also that there is ineffective parenting going on, yes? Cos your brother IS STILL a child and your mom appears to have lost control / abrogated her responsibilities. In any case, it's not your burden or problem to solve...it's on both your parents. Maybe you can have a private chat with your dad, and voice your concerns?

Now that you mention it yes he it going to highschool... but he has many old friends there and doesn't get bullied. I don't know what to do about my parents. My dad is rarely home. He talks back to my mom and acts very rude to her! It bothers me greatly. It just stresses me out that I have this a**hole for a brother...

Hi everyone, I want some advice how to deal with a VERY rude and abnoxious brother (he is younger than me, 13 yrs old to be exact). Whenever my mom talks or tries to talk to him its like she is invisible and he does not listen. When my mom is talking to me and he is sitting in the back seat he will go like "shut up your annoying stop talking!" He spends hours playing video games and when we tell him he has to go to sleep he will say "OK!!! ILL GET OFF SHORTLY!" and you wake up 6 in the morning and guess who is still playing video games....He gets mad very easily and starts SCREAMING cuss words at my youngest sibling and is acting VERY immature. He also won't talk when he is mad which is very annoying (silent treatment..)

So basically: He doesn't listen to my parents

Has an attitude problem

Curses a lot

Wont go to sleep on time

Gets annoyed for no reason, tells my mom to stop talking when she is talking to me and when say his friends might be talking he is silent... what is wrong with his kid???! How do i deal with this degenerate?? My mom will act nice towards him and she get a big "**** you" to the face. I try to ask nicely whats wrong he says shut up and go...

Sounds like hormones at age 13. The kid needs an outlet other than video games and t.v. - add to it some discipline.

Big hugs, Bon. I can tell that it's a stressful situation for you. It also sounds as if you'd like to minimize or eliminate the crap that he's throwing at your mom, which is totally admirable of you.

Like I said, though, it's not really your job. But. Since you are taking it on, you may want to do some reading on the subject, so that you'll be as well-equipped as possible to deal with him in a positive/constructive way.

A few of sites/articles, which I'd encourage you to share with your mom...and your dad whenever he is around, are:

~~ http://www.byparents-forparents.com/test4.html ~~ http://www.parentingateenager.net/ ~~ http://www.flyingcolours.org.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?ap=1&id=1132

Or Google something like 'parenting teens' if those links don't offer any hope or strategies that might work for you.

As important to your own well-being, please do also make sure that you're taking care of you -- hanging out with friends, pursuing your own interests and hobbies, and stuff like that. If/when you feel that you need some help, which would be totally understandable, you could speak with a school counselor, or a pastor, or a trusted older family member.

Very best of luck to you and your family.

First to the posters who enjoy overgeneralizing. Stop. Its an untrue statement that ALL 13 year olds are obnoxious or filled with angst. Instead be realisitic sometimes a teen can come off brash or disrespectful.

Siblings have the right to confront each other when it affects the family harmony. If they have any good communication skills in listening and speaking they can perhaps sit with a neutral person and air their differences. Yes the parents would be (or could be) the ones to monitor it yet it seems to be that you have to sometimes let the kids air out their differences and speak there minds in a safe environment. Clearly the 13 year old hasnt learned to minimize the ill talk and needs examples of how to speak respectfully to others. .

It amazes me to this day that people dont take that time out and correct the situation when its happening.

Hummm.... your brother needs discipline.. that's all..

Your parents are not firm enough with him... they should cut the video games.. or set some time limits.. if he doesn't comply to house rules.. he gets his privileges (and the ones he likes best).. taken away... simple as that..

They need to team up against him.. if they don't .. well he will manipulate the 'weakest' parent.

I know it must be terrible for you.. how old are you?