2 issues

hey! its me yet again

this isn't quite about r/s's but i'd love to get ya'll smart ppl's opinions if you don't mind... :)

2 Qns this time:

1 - vacation

my parents (i live with them, im 19) insist i come on vacation with them (to dominican republic or smht like that)... they're willing to pay, etc.

i dont like this idea because: 1 - they arent very active, so if i wanna go scuba diving, dancing ,etcetc - id have to go by myself... 2 - i feel slightly loserish for not having a gang of friends to go on vacation with at this age....

2 - education

Im doing my undergrand in comp. sci, math, and a lil bit of philo.

I've recently become quite sure that i will not be able to have the 'A' GPA i'd need to do a master's at my school (University of Toronto)... I'm a solid B student...

So the question is - i suppose i could start killing myself studying and get those damn As - but i dont think i wanna do that, i'd rather have a life

Qn2 is - i could do a master's at some other school, which will take me even with the Bs cuz it's a worse school... is it worth doing, considering i'm not planning to do a PhD?

problem is - im in 2nd year, and im not sure what i wanna do - i mean i havent tried working or reseach in this field... I am hoping to try research this summer (if i get the scolarship...) ...

Any advice? comments?

Thanks a lot!

• Author

I re-read my post n noticed I didn't really ask any questions... the main Qns are -

what do i do? how do i decide what to do? for the 2nd issue and

should i go with them? is it silly for a 19-y.o. to go on vacation with parents? on the 1st issue ...

thanks again,

-yes

hey! its me yet again this isn't quite about r/s's but i'd love to get ya'll smart ppl's opinions if you don't mind... :) 2 Qns this time: 1 - vacation my parents (i live with them, im 19) insist i come on vacation with them (to dominican republic or smht like that)... they're willing to pay, etc. i dont like this idea because: 1 - they arent very active, so if i wanna go scuba diving, dancing ,etcetc - id have to go by myself... 2 - i feel slightly loserish for not having a gang of friends to go on vacation with at this age.... 2 - education Im doing my undergrand in comp. sci, math, and a lil bit of philo. I've recently become quite sure that i will not be able to have the 'A' GPA i'd need to do a master's at my school (University of Toronto)... I'm a solid B student... So the question is - i suppose i could start killing myself studying and get those damn As - but i dont think i wanna do that, i'd rather have a life Qn2 is - i could do a master's at some other school, which will take me even with the Bs cuz it's a worse school... is it worth doing, considering i'm not planning to do a PhD? problem is - im in 2nd year, and im not sure what i wanna do - i mean i havent tried working or reseach in this field... I am hoping to try research this summer (if i get the scolarship...) ... Any advice? comments? Thanks a lot!

1> Have you been to the Dominican Republic? I have. Its not a vacation paradise. Poverty level is awfull. Dirt roads, have to dodge bycles on all four sides of you. Food sucks, just about everything sucks. But, since its free, your parents want you to go. Take advantage of it now while you still can. Who would pass down a free vacation? When I was your age, I too would let my folks run along to the beach, mountains, cruise vacations, whatever, while I had the run of it. Once your older, they may invite you on vaca. but not all the time. So take advantage of that. Dont worry yourself over not having anyone to hang out with, just soak up the sun and have fun.

2> Stay in school, which ever one you think is best. If you dont want to study anymore than you have to, dont push yourself, you may end up burning out on it. Changing schools? I dont know, I say just stay with the school you prefer. If you like the Instructors, facilities, whatever. Stay where its more comfortable for you, and what you think might look better on a resume!

hey! its me yet again this isn't quite about r/s's but i'd love to get ya'll smart ppl's opinions if you don't mind... :) 2 Qns this time: 1 - vacation my parents (i live with them, im 19) insist i come on vacation with them (to dominican republic or smht like that)... they're willing to pay, etc. i dont like this idea because: 1 - they arent very active, so if i wanna go scuba diving, dancing ,etcetc - id have to go by myself... 2 - i feel slightly loserish for not having a gang of friends to go on vacation with at this age.... 2 - education Im doing my undergrand in comp. sci, math, and a lil bit of philo. I've recently become quite sure that i will not be able to have the 'A' GPA i'd need to do a master's at my school (University of Toronto)... I'm a solid B student... So the question is - i suppose i could start killing myself studying and get those damn As - but i dont think i wanna do that, i'd rather have a life Qn2 is - i could do a master's at some other school, which will take me even with the Bs cuz it's a worse school... is it worth doing, considering i'm not planning to do a PhD? problem is - im in 2nd year, and im not sure what i wanna do - i mean i havent tried working or reseach in this field... I am hoping to try research this summer (if i get the scolarship...) ... Any advice? comments? Thanks a lot!

1) Go on vacation with your parents. Although you may hate the thought of it, someday when they aren't around anymore, you'll appreciate that you went on this vacation. Personally (I'm 27), I love going on vacation "by myself", which in effect you will be if they don't participate in the kinds of activities that you want to. It really forces you to meet new people, and you'd be surprised how much easier it is when you don't have a "gang of friends." That can be intimidating. You might run into people your age who are in the same boat to party with at night. And heck, a free vacation is a free vacation. At minimum you get to kick back on the beach and relax on your parent's tab! (This you'll appreciate once you get out of school and have to pay for your own vacations. Not cheap, trust me!)

2) At nineteen, it's very unlikely that you know exactly what you want to do with your life. The best you can do is take a wild guess and hope you end up in the right direction. Unless you want to (which it sounds like you don't), I wouldn't kill yourself to get straight As. Part of the whole college experience is being able to participate in activities and party and have a great time. Bs are great. Since you went to undergrad there, you also might have an advantage in getting into the Master's program. Also, you might consider trying to suck up (not literally) to some of your professors who might be able to write you letters of recommendation for the Master's program. I'd think that letters from "their own" would help influence the admissions counsel. But even if you don't get in, if you want to pursue your Master's, go for it at another school, even if it isn't quite "as good." (Although I hardly think that admitting someone with a B average is considered a "bad" school.) Do what you want to do and don't worry so much about the reputation of the school. If you are good at it, you will shine and it won't matter. (And those "worse" schools have recruiting job fairs and career services, too. If they didn't, no one would go there, right?) You'll find out that once you get into the real world where you went to school or what grades you got don't matter as much as your ability to do a good job. The important thing is pursuing a field that is going to make you happy doing 8++++ hours a day!

Good luck!

I live where it's cold, so even at 26, if I could go to DR with the folks for free I would jump at the chance! Why not? Our time with our parents is limited and you should spend time with them.

As far as school goes I wouldn't stress too much. I managed to squeak out with a near 4.0 but it hasn't got me squat. Don't push yourself too hard. Better to develop people skills than intellectual gadgets.

• Author

Thanks guys!

Y'all sound reasonable :)

I'll go on the vacation for sure ...

And i wont kill myself over grades ...

Thanks for your advice everyone!

I live where it's cold, so even at 26, if I could go to DR with the folks for free I would jump at the chance! Why not? Our time with our parents is limited and you should spend time with them. As far as school goes I wouldn't stress too much. I managed to squeak out with a near 4.0 but it hasn't got me squat. Don't push yourself too hard. Better to develop people skills than intellectual gadgets.

I wish it were that simple. I already spent a great deal away from my family. Than I moved back to be among them.

My father hired me to work for his company. At the time I did, he had 27 employees and my ex.

My ex, well, if it werent for me, he wouldnt be there. After high school my dad offered him a job and he has been with the company off and on since. He has been fired, and left on his on terms before. But understand my father invested alot into this kid. Now he is grown he is an asset.

I dont want leave the company, I have too many perks! I have thought about it. But Im happy were I am. I take care of the accounting, I have to tell a bunch of hard headed grown men what to do.

All in all, I moved to be with my family, and at the time of moving, my father said he wanted me to do the books, because he cant trust anyone after all the bookeepers he went through. They stole from him, took advantage of, he is a really nice man.

Im fine working with him, but once in awhile Im bothered.

No I dont plan on leaving. In fact at one point my ex had to ask me for his job back. Family knows my situation, if things do get to the point where I cant handle working with him I would move on. I even miss the carrer I left to be with my family. If I went back to doing that, I would have to leave the state.