I just found out my mum has a 50% chance of survival...

lovestruck234

lovestruck234

She and Dad told me that they didn't know how to tell me but thought I should know that the doctor has told them....well, rather HAD told them that mum has a 50% chance of survival...

In a way, i was kinda angry that they had left it this long before telling me, and all this time I had my hopes up that she was going to be ok....and now I'm not so sure....

By the way, for those of you who dont' know, my mum has bowel cancer.

This sucks. 50%...50% is nothing. I don't know if I can even think positive about this.

WTF would I do if she was to leave this world? Life without my mum....geeez.....kinda scary.....

hugznkisses21

Hey Love,

Stay strong,

My mom passed away very suddenly when i was 15 I am not 23. All i can say is be positive and be strong for her and yourself - and in following your posts - you NEED to surround yourself with very supportive and positive people (PLEASE take that advice and you know who im talking about)...Rememeber its s 50% but your mom is here now and he she needs you - and if u think positive - you can get through it ALL - I dont know if I have the best advice but i have been there once and - rememeber every day is a gift :) - But what really got me through was surrounding myself with those wonderful people who were supportive

3 years ago (about) my aunt had cancer. They kept discovering it all through her body. It was really scary, and at one point they told her that she had 3 months to live. There was no 50/50 chance. This shocked us all. But she found a good treatment center and has been free of the disease for a long time now.

I hope this at least helps you keep your hope alive and keep a positive attitude. Hang in there, Tess. ;)

• Author
lovestruck234

I know, positive people, right? I know...

I just, until I discovered LS, I have NEVER been the type of person to talk about my feelings or emotions...I always think that "if I don't tell anyone how I'm feeling, I can deal with it myself..."

That's why this is also so new to me. My dad keep sencouraging me to talk to him about how I feel. But I don't like talking about how I feel. Of course, unless it's on LS...:)

I kinda forget what it's like to have a "normal mum"....for as long as I can remember she has always been sick. Always had something wrong with her health. I just want her to get better and be able to do the things other people can do!!

She and Dad told me that they didn't know how to tell me but thought I should know that the doctor has told them....well, rather HAD told them that mum has a 50% chance of survival...

In a way, i was kinda angry that they had left it this long before telling me, and all this time I had my hopes up that she was going to be ok....and now I'm not so sure....

This sucks. 50%...50% is nothing. I don't know if I can even think positive about this.

WTF would I do if she was to leave this world? Life without my mum....geeez.....kinda scary.....

I'm so sorry for what you are going through.:( Your mom will be in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

In the meantime, just keep a positive spirit about everything. She still has a chance of survival but if the unfortunate does happen, at least you have time to prepare for it.

3 years ago (about) my aunt had cancer. They kept discovering it all through her body. It was really scary, and at one point they told her that she had 3 months to live. There was no 50/50 chance. This shocked us all. But she found a good treatment center and has been free of the disease for a long time now.

I wouldn't want to mess with your aunt. Talk about laughing at death.

oh, Tess, I'm so sorry about this crappy news ... I just got back into the building so to speak.

I know this will sound trite, but if you're able, start concentrating on the glass being half-full even as you are aware of the part that's missing. Other thing is, doctors are giving you their best guesstimate, God may have other ideas about how long you get to keep your mom or how her health plays out – my cousin was given 3-6 months to live after she had some serious problems due to her lupus. That was nearly 10 years ago! She's had to change some of her lifestyle and habits, but she's still hanging in there.

don't ever let go of hope, because nothing is 100 percent sure, except the possibility of being surprised along the way.

hugs,

quank

TattooedPrincess

Don't be angry. It probably hurt them just as much telling you. They may been uncertain how to handle how you would react to the news.

Sorry to hear!

This sucks. 50%...50% is nothing. I don't know if I can even think positive about this. It is best that you sit down and find a positive outlet for I am sure you will be around your mother as she is going through this. She will need your support to get through this no matter what path this may take. She will not only rely on her self to be positive but you and who ever else loves her as well.

It is very scary but you will find a way if you cross that bridge and even though there may be a possibility. You will need support from people that is close to you.

My mother was stage 4 and unfortunately cancer took her life. I did end up going into shock and shut down close to 6 months after her death but think goodness I had folks on my mother side, aunts, uncles and cousin that refused to let me shut down.

Try to stay positive Tess. Be strong for your family and for yourself. Nothing in life is certain, and as stories here have shown, the Doctors are only guessing. :bunny: