Husband won't stop lying/stop "friendship" with ex

desperatehousewife

desperatehousewife

I am hoping I get some replies to this because I am at my wits end. My husband is a compulsive liar. He lies about everything big and small, his answer is always that he was "scared" by my reaction, he didn't want to cause trouble blah, blah, blah. We have seperated 3x because he refuses to stop contact with his ex-girlfriend. He insists they are JUST FRIENDS and she has been there for him in hard times before we met. When I met him he told me she is a good friend that is now married with a child (Harmless, right?) Well as time goes on I find out that after she was married he slept with her after they went out to club together. I should mention we are from 2 different countries, I'm American he is European. While I was pregnant I went back to the U.S to have our child. He hung out a lot with her despite my objections because he said she is his FRIEND and all he did was talk about me and the baby the whole time. To make matters worse during an argument about HER, he blurted out that he even spent the night at her place while her husband was gone out of town and NOTHING HAPPENED, so now I should believe they are just FRIENDS!?! By the way he did this while I was pregnant in another country with his child. His mother can NOT stand this woman, she has threatened him many times that she will never talk to him again if he has continued contact.

To make a long story short, I have left him over lying to me about his contact. He knew it upset me and I gave him an ultimatum, he then told me he was not going to contact her and he told her that their friendship was a problem for me. That I was INSECURE AND JEALOUS!!!!!!!!! (She later told me).

She tries to pass this whole thing off as if I'm making a big deal out of nothing, she says she looks at him like a brother and was so happy for him when we started dating etc. But this woman has a bad reputation herself and I don't trust her, his family never liked her and even he has told me things about her that makes me wonder WHY Is he even friends with her. He has said she is sneaky, liar, etc. She also cheated on him when they dated years ago.

He basically doesn't understand what my problem is, he says this is a HARMLESS friendship that I can't handle.

I have had a very difficult time getting over all of his lies, I have looked in his cell phone finding phone calls between them when he has said he hasn't spoken to her in months, when I ask him if he has he lies straight to my face and even lectures me about being paranoid! Then I show him what I find in his cell phone and he finally admits the truth, but only after I catch him.

There are too many examples to give of me asking him about her, and him swearing he hasn't heard or seen this woman in months then to find out he has been in contact with her recently. He claims I make him lie because I am making this a big deal.

I recently left him because I found that I could not trust him anymore and I could not forgive the piles of lies that have happened. I packed up my child and moved back to the U.S on my own to start a new life.

It turns out that I was very happy to be back but I don't have any brothers/sisters and my mother is sick with cancer and we were never close. I didn't have the support network I needed to raise a child on my own. My daughter has a condition that keeps her out of daycare until her immune system is better which basically equals I couldn't keep a job unless I had someone to watch her.

After lots of regular phone calls between my husband and I we decided that it's best for everybody if I come back. Before I did this I begged him to come clean with anything and everything, I told him I could not take another round of lies of cover ups. He swore to me that all that mattered is me and our child and he will do anything to have us back. We were seperated for a total of 4 months. I can't resist asking if he has talked to her, and he ofcourse swears he has not had any contact with this woman for ages and he can't stand her anyway etc. He swears he will tell me if she contacts him because he wants to be honest with me and he won't do anything to jeapordize our family again. I have been here two weeks back with him and I have found out that he saw her a couple of weeks before we came, they went out to a concert together, the only way I found that out was because I found his SENT text messages in his phone discussing their plans. He has now since admitted that shortly after I left him that she contacted him via email hearing that I had left and asked how he was holding up etc, they have been in regular contact ever since then. He is saying that when I left with the baby he was so depressed he didn't see why he should keep his promise to me anymore, that I had left him blah, blah, blah. I also found out that he was going out to night clubs meeting other women and going out on dates which he claims he never slept with anyone.

We were in regular contact talking almost daily when I left for the U.S, he knew that there was a high chance of reconcilliation.

I am at my wits end. My heart wants to help him so we can save our marriage, but my mind says Screw Him!! And move on with my life, but moving on with my life is not too realisitic, I broke my apt lease and have bad credit, I have no money and no support, so in a way I feel stuck with this compulsive liar!! I have heard the SAME apologies and SAME "I am never going to see my ex again" Stories. He is begging me to stay and swears he will do ANYTHING including counseling, change his job (Long story with THAT). But I am TIRED, and BROKEN. I feel on the verge of a nervous breakdown, the few family members I have think he's some Saint and wouldn't believe all of this. They think I should be grateful to have such a "good man".

I feel at my lowest point. I need Straight Forward HONEST advice from somebody/anybody because I am not thinking straight anymore.

THANKS

LucreziaBorgia

First, set up an appointment with a lawyer for some legal advice on divorce, alimony and child support. Find out what legal grounds you have, and find out the maximum reward you can expect from him. Find out what you stand to gain and what you have to lose. Do lots of research. Ask about information about support services for single mothers, and about individual counseling, and about credit counseling to help your financial situation. You are not as stuck as you think. Even if you don't end up using this information, you will at least have the knowledge of your options.

Then, tell him he has a choice: if this marriage has a chance at all it will have to be 'no contact' with this woman and marriage counseling with you. Let him know that if he refuses, then you will be making a few choices on your own.

If he says 'no' to counseling and/or 'no contact' then you have the choice: adapt to this unhappy situation and live out the rest of your life in it or divorce him and start building a new life.

• Author
desperatehousewife

Thanks LB,

He has ofcourse sworn up and down, he is never EVER going have contact this woman again and he says he is willing to go to counseling etc. BUT... He has said these things before and they were lies. Last time he told me even if I go, one thing is for sure, he will have NOTHING to do with this woman again, he promised me that. Well, that didn't last long.

The Atty thing is a good idea, I don't have money to see one though, I will do some research. I am in the UK and EVERYTHING is expensive.