Traveling overseas

I am a mother of a one child who just got separated almost a month ago, I am a Canadian resident and I wish to visit my home country and stay for a month or so, can I take my child with me without the X husband approval?

Given all the missing information, good question for your attorney. There are also free family law centers in many big cities...

Mr. Lucky

I doubt it. I live in Canada and almost everyone I know who is divorced and travelling across the border with children needs a signed letter from the other parent...

I'm not familiar with Canadian laws, but given its nickname of USA Jr, I would assume you will not be allowed to do so. I think you can get a basic information from a Google search.

It's highly unlikely that you can travel out of the country or even board a plane without the other parent's consent. The airline won't let you.

Thank you all for your replies, waiting for other opinions

I dont think more replies will give you the answer you want, Google laws in your area or contact an attorney.

• Like 1
I'm not familiar with Canadian laws, but given its nickname of USA Jr

Ummm.... I'm just going to leave this one for the Canadians on the board to respond to... :eek::lmao:

• Like 1
I'm not familiar with Canadian laws, but given its nickname of USA Jr,

this is the typical view that americans have of Canada. in reality the US has very little in common with its neighbor to the north

• Like 1
this is the typical view that americans have of Canada. in reality the US has very little in common with its neighbor to the north

I have very little in common with my father.

You 100% cannot. I live near the Canadian border, and you cannot take a minor child out of the US into Canada without both parents present or a signed, notarized statement by the missing parent. I know this from personal experience and being detained at Canadian immigration for several hours. It's called parental kidnapping and Canada and the US co-operate ( as they should), with all countries in regards to this. I would highly recommend you do not mess with them (customs and immigration) on this one...they will make future travel for you anywhere hell as you will be in a database that most countries share.

BTW...I did not kidnap my kid, I merely went over there for a hockey game thankfully before the world got crazy(pre 9/11).

Edited by standtall
I have very little in common with my father.

Going with that logic, it would be much more accurate to call the US "England Jr".... or perhaps even "Spain Jr", given Columbus's history. :laugh:

Edited by Elswyth
  • Like 1