LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Breaking Up, Reconciliation & Coping > Separation and Divorce

Bench warrant

Separation and Divorce Considering ending your marriage? Going through a divorce? Let us know!

Like Tree84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2019, 5:28 PM   #1
Established Member

Bench warrant

A bench warrant was issued today because my exH owes me money and failed to show for court. The hearing officer told me that before he can be released he will have to pay back everything he owes me.

Does anybody know what this means? Am I going to have to wait for a cop to stop him for speeding or what?

It sounds very serious to me, Iím not sure if itíll be taken as seriously as it sounds though. Does anybody know?
Old 6th February 2019, 5:46 PM   #2
Established Member

Grace,
I think that your question is beyond the scope of anyone on this board,

You really need to take legal advice on this.

Sorry x
Arieswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 5:50 PM   #3
Established Member

What do you mean? Iím not wasting money calling up one of my attorneys when I can maybe get this information for free.
amaysngrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 5:50 PM   #4
Established Member

sorry can't help on this one sis

- The Eagles
alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 5:54 PM   #5
Established Member

Sounds to me like they're just gonna go pick him up at his house if they can, and he'll be in jail until he pays you back.
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 5:55 PM   #6
Established Member

Okay, thanks guys. In case I wasnít clear, the exH owes me a bunch of money for child support. He didnít show to the court hearing. The hearing officer issued a warrant and stated that for him to be released heíll have to pay what he owes.

Will they send a sheriffs officer out?

I figure someone had to have this happen to them or know somebody this happened to, right?
Old 6th February 2019, 5:58 PM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiouslyOptimistic View Post
Sounds to me like they're just gonna go pick him up at his house if they can, and he'll be in jail until he pays you back.
Thank you! This is what I was thinking but wasnít sure.

I was hoping it was this rather than wait for him to be pulled over by a cop or something.
Old 6th February 2019, 5:59 PM   #8
Established Member

I'm thinking maybe a constable or something like that will come out. Something like this happened to a former neighbor of mine, although they are still married and I can't remember now why the constable was there. Serving papers of some kind since they were fighting.....
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 6:03 PM   #9
Established Member

I donít really care who gets him or what happens to him tbh as long as I get my money. My kids are in college. Itís not cheap!
Old 6th February 2019, 6:05 PM   #10
Established Member

If the question is whether they'll actively look for him at his home or work, or wait until they accidentally stumble upon him, it kind of depends on the jurisdiction, but my guess is that it's going to be the latter.
GorillaTheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 6:08 PM   #11
Established Member

Well itís New Jersey, and they really donít play when it comes to that.

At least Iím hoping.
Old 6th February 2019, 6:21 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaTheater View Post
If the question is whether they'll actively look for him at his home or work, or wait until they accidentally stumble upon him, it kind of depends on the jurisdiction, but my guess is that it's going to be the latter.
I'd have to agree with "GorillaTheater" on this one, especially if there is a large backlog of warrants in your jurisdiction.

I did a quick search for backlog of New Jersey warrants and this popped up.

"The New Jersey Supreme Court has assigned a panel to review nearly 800,000 municipal-court bench warrants issued before 2003 for minor infractions, including parking and traffic tickets, to determine whether they should be dismissed. Overall, there are about 2.5 million open municipal-court bench warrants in the state."

Source: https://www.enterprisenews.com/news/...-massachusetts
Old 6th February 2019, 6:27 PM   #13
Established Member

It might come down to wage garnish or a lien on his taxes. Personally, if it were me, I'd find out the legalities of the matter and what my role, if any in the process is, to receive monies owed.
Old 6th February 2019, 6:37 PM   #14
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaysngrace View Post
I figure someone had to have this happen to them or know somebody this happened to, right?
I'm not in New Jersey, but I've certainly had employees run afoul of bench warrants. Without exception, it was in conjunction with some other law enforcement action - traffic stop, eviction, drunk and disorderly or (believe it or not, in one case) jaywalking.

I don't think there's many jurisdictions where they're actively pursued on a standalone basis...

Mr. Lucky

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 7:05 PM   #15
Established Member

The county I live in has a FB page and shows the faces and last known addresses of anyone with an active warrant and even gives you a number to call if youíve seen them in your neighborhood.

I hope they get him soon. The way our agreement has always been is I put out the money then get half back from him for doctors or braces or tuition or whatever. He was always really good about paying it back and I really didnít have too much trouble with him paying support because it was always a wage execution but last I knew support wasnít enforceable, thatís what CS told me back in the fall.

Iím thinking maybe he went to a court ordered rehab and was really hoping to find out the story today but he didnít show.

He didnít even text the kids merry Christmas or anything or even happy thanksgiving because I remember my daughter making fun of him by saying ďI wonder how the stuffing is in prison.Ē