LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Breaking Up, Reconciliation & Coping > Separation and Divorce

20 years gone? [Updated Feb 25]


Separation and Divorce Considering ending your marriage? Going through a divorce? Let us know!

Like Tree48Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th January 2019, 12:25 PM   #61
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 188
Unfortunately for me... I think you are both right. Yes, she is clear about the loss of love, but wanting to maintain this lifestyle. Yes... I will regret if I don't try. At this point, what's a few hundred $$$ ? As I've said, I'm no angel, but she is VERY smart, and if she hears that she is being unreasonable from someone else... she may actually reconsider her stance.

Right now, she is trying to get some work done, and I'm looking after the kids. I'll ask her if she has a name or recommendation, and I'll see if she can book a visit to a MC. Just for my knowledge.... if things go perfectly... how many visits should I expect? Obviously, if it's not going right... then we part ways. (can't believe I'm in this situation)

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 25th February 2019 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: Fix spacing
Blind-Sided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 4:38 PM   #62
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind-Sided View Post
Just for my knowledge.... if things go perfectly... how many visits should I expect?
Somewhere between 1 and 100.

I'm kidding obviously, but your approach is flawed. There's no "cured", there's only "progress" or "no progress". Blind-Sided, it took you 20 years to get to this point, you won't get an answer in 20 days. If memory serves me correctly (was a long time ago), my ex and I went a dozen times or so before we decided to divorce.

If getting your marriage back on track is important to you, be prepared to be patient and persistent. No easy fixes...

Mr. Lucky
__________________
Happiness is not a goal; it is a byproduct -

Eleanor Roosevelt
Mr. Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 9:38 PM   #63
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 188
Sure... I realize that it's not like going to the Dr for a checkup. But I didn't know if there was a target. Basically, I don't want to get someone who just wants to pad their checking account. (if you know what I mean) But I guess realistically... a few visits just to see if she will head the right direction. But thanks for the input of "A dozen times" to make the choice.

FYI... it was a very lucid and peaceful day. She got up this morning and apologized for the way she was last night. But, since I only had an hour sleep, I wasn't very receptive. (early) but later I accepted her apology. Maybe her new meds are kicking in, and she is becoming more aware. (can only hope)

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 25th February 2019 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: Redact quote of prior post; fix spacing
Blind-Sided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 5:15 AM   #64
S2B
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,117
How can you be sure she isn’t cheating?

She’s acting like a cheater.
S2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2019, 11:02 PM   #65
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 525
You know I think you’re pushing her too hard honestly. If you want to be with her start going to counseling and doing what you can to build intimacy and affection. Stop just demanding that she promise to be as committed as you want her to be. Take what she’s willing to give and try to grow it into what you want. But you can’t just command her to love you, enough of those demands and she will just leave altogether, lifestyle be damned.
chryssy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2019, 12:37 AM   #66
Established Member
 
Marc878's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,764
It seems from your posts you are giving her 100% control over whether to stay with you or not. IMO that's a very weak stance to take. This is your life too isn't it?

Maybe you should make a decision.
Marc878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 3:32 AM   #67
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northeast Coast
Posts: 696
I think she is giving you clues that you are not picking up on. Take the meal planning, for example. You said it saved your family money. She said she no longer wanted to do it and said it felt like you were controlling her. If you were NOT trying to control her "chores", then you could have said. "Okay, I'll take over the meal planning for awhile. It's my turn."

I'm hearing you say that she needs therapy. You do not need therapy because you are generally happy. Hmmm. My husband used to say the same thing. I was the one with problems that needed resolving because I had depression and anxiety. If I just fixed myself, we would be fine because there was nothing wrong with him. Therapy does not always mean you have a mental health issue. Think of it more as a mediator. If YOU go to MARRIAGE COUNSELING with your wife, it is showing her that you believe the marriage is important enough for you to work on. Otherwise, what she is seeing from you is "The problems are all yours. I'm perfect the way I am." No one is perfect.

Finally, if you really DO love her, then give her the time and space she is asking for, and provide the support that she needs from you right now, instead of pressuring her to say "I love you" when she is not feeling it right now. Those three words are very easy to say, and she could just blurt them out to appease you. Instead, she's being honest about where she is in this marriage. She is doing what she should be doing to try to save is marriage. Your part is to give her medication and therapy time to kick in, and participate in that therapy, both couples and maybe even individual.
vla1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 4:40 PM   #68
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 188
Just an update because I feel like I need to talk to someone. As others have said... there's no miracle cure, and there needs to be time to get things to work. Not to mention... it seems like her new meds need upward of 6 weeks to take full effect. Also... she is now seeing a councilor. I told her I would be willing to go to a MC, but I also said to her that nothing that she has asked of me is impossible or even hard to do. But then she starts to get upset and gives me the "Do you know how many years I put up with all of this?" Then my response is "Yes, and I'm sorry... but the past is in the past, and we need to move forward."

So... back to the main issue. She can't give me an answer to the simple question... "Do you want to try to fix things?" (Do you want it to work) Because of that, we still float in this limbo stage, and even that causes an emotional flair-up, and while it can end OK... it's still another "Hurt" that she will put away for later. (If you know what I mean)

For a recap, we had a very good week. The house environment was happy, and things felt like "Normal." But on Friday night... we were starting to fool around a little in the bedroom, and then all the sudden I hear an angry voice. I won't go into details, but before this even began to head to the intimate direction, I asked if she was ok with it. (Giving her that control) I stopped, and left the bedroom in tears. When she came out, I told her that all she has in hate in her heart, and really don't want to heal. AND, I told her she could have simply said that she wasn't ready... BEFORE we started to do anything. Needless to say... Saturday sucked


SO... now on to Sunday. The night before, the kids asked if they could have blueberry muffins for breakfast, and the wife said "Yes". With that said... I'm a morning person, and the wife likes to sleep a little on the weekends. Also, one of the things she has been mad about, and asked me to do, is to be more helpful with the household chores. So, I got up, got my coffee, and made up the batch of muffins. (boxed stuff) My kids got up and enjoyed them. Well... I hear an alarm go off (8am) and the wife comes out, and was crazy mad that I made the muffins. !?!?!?!?!? I don't know exactly why, but I guess in her head she thought that I was trying to "One up" her in front of the kids. She said that it was something special, and they really wanted her to make them.

OK... in all the years we have been married, she has never once set an alarm to get up to make a special breakfast for the kids. (and Iold her that) I also said... I didn't do it to spite you... I did it to be helpful, as you have asked me to do. And finally, I told her, if it was really something special, then all she had to do was to tell me that was her plan. Of coarse, this turned into an hour long debate, with her crying, and me in the wrong. So... once more hurt I guess. And another "Dammed if I do, Dammed if I don't".

Got to go... she has sat down close to me. UGHHHHHHHH !!!!!!

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 25th February 2019 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: Fix spacing
Blind-Sided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 5:39 PM   #69
S2B
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,117
Why are you putting up with her crappy behavior? Her ability to NOT answer you is her answer!

NO, she doesn’t intend to make it work with you! In fact, she’s doing a darn good job of making sure it doesn’t work!

Stop it! No loving relationship looks like this! She is cruel and mean. Make it stop.

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 25th February 2019 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Redact quote of prior post
S2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 5:41 PM   #70
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 188
Responses to the above...
S2b: You are right... Just doesn't seem like it. As before, I've checked into things, and have no proof.

Chryssy: I may be pushing, but as I've said... this relationship is in a self destructing mode right now because she can't even answer the simple question of "Do you want it to work out?" Also, since she has been bring stuff up from the beginning, and saying this is a long time coming... she has had a long time to think about it. I'm not looking for instant love again... I'm simply looking for a choice. MC will only work if both sides want it to work. Right now, I feel it's one sided.

Marc: Yes... I feel you are right. But I don't want it to be over, and neither do the kids.

VLA: I think you need to reread that post. She said it was controlling, but when I said to stop... she said that she actually liked it, and it was helpful !! But I'm still being blamed for it. Also, the original reason for it was, money was tight after sending in taxes at the end of the year. She could have stopped after we were stable again.

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 25th February 2019 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Fix spacing
Blind-Sided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 5:51 PM   #71
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2B View Post
Why are you putting up with her crappy behavior?
Because I love her, and our family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2B View Post
She is cruel and mean. Make it stop.
Unfortunately... you are right. I've even told her that. All the years of crap that she is saying that she has put up with from me were unintentional, since I didn't know. (I've told her that if she didn't like something in the past all she had to do is tell me) Everything that I've endured in the last 2 months was intentional from her, and is cruel.

To all... I'm trying my best to hold things together, but it's rough. ad to Marc, I agree that I need to be strong, but sometimes backing down is the right thing too. With that said... I've told her that the longer she drags me through this... the harder I will be to deal with if she wants it to end.

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 25th February 2019 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: Fix spacing
Blind-Sided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 8:26 PM   #72
Established Member
 
elaine567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 17,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind-Sided View Post
As others have said... there's no miracle cure, and there needs to be time to get things to work. Not to mention... it seems like her new meds need upward of 6 weeks to take full effect. Also... she is now seeing a councilor. I told her I would be willing to go to a MC, but I also said to her that nothing that she has asked of me is impossible or even hard to do. But then she starts to get upset and gives me the "Do you know how many years I put up with all of this?" Then my response is "Yes, and I'm sorry... but the past is in the past, and we need to move forward."
Wrong things to say.
You are minimising things and want to sweep it al under the carpet as if it never happened. Meanwhile she needs to get it all out there and have you truly understand her point of view.
This is years in the making - she is correct.
You can't solve this with trite and "easy" solutions, sex and taking over in the kitchen and making her feel worthless and unneeded in front of your children...
elaine567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 8:30 PM   #73
Established Member
 
elaine567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 17,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind-Sided View Post
<snip>I asked if she was ok with it. (Giving her that control) I stopped, and left the bedroom in tears. When she came out, I told her that all she has in hate in her heart, and really don't want to heal. AND, I told her she could have simply said that she wasn't ready... BEFORE we started to do anything. Needless to say... Saturday sucked.
Did you or she leave the bedroom in tears?

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 25th February 2019 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: Truncate quote
elaine567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:51 AM   #74
S2B
Established Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind-Sided View Post
Because I love her, and our family.<snip>
Explain to me why you actually love someone who treats you and the family unit with such disrespect and disregard? LOVE never looks like that! Is that love or is that just not wanting to make effort to end things?

Are you so used to being treated terribly that you beg for more abuse? Do you realize how unhealthy the marriage is? Were you abused as a child?

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 25th February 2019 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Truncate quote; fix spacing
S2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 9:30 AM   #75
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine567 View Post
<snip>
You can't solve this with trite and "easy" solutions, sex and taking over in the kitchen and making her feel worthless and unneeded in front of your children...
As always, I appreciate the input from the other side. (sorry, assume you are a woman from the screen name) But, I'm not trying to minimize anything. I've asked her to sit down with me and go through individual things so we can address them. She told me that it would be too painful to do that, so I have no choice other than to make it a blanket apology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine567 View Post
Did you or she leave the bedroom in tears?
It was me. I wasn't mad because it didn't happen. I was heart broken because I thought... "Maybe she is ready to forgive and move forward." But when there was a change in the situation, during... that was just a twist of the knife... if you know what I mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2B View Post
Explain to me why you actually love someone who treats you and the family unit with such disrespect and disregard? LOVE never looks like that!
I don't disagree here. I love her because over 20 years she has been nothing other than the perfect wife. She puts herself second to me and the kids... she took care of the house, and she was generally great to be around. This all came down, and was completely unexpected. (That's why the name is blind sided)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2B View Post
Are you so used to being treated terribly that you beg for more abuse?
Do you realize how unhealthy the marriage is?
Were you abused as a child?
Nope... I've never been abused in any way. My folks are super supportive of me and everyone around me. As a kid... my house was the one everyone came to. Heck... my folks treat my wife more like family than her own mother does. TO be honest... my wife was the one who was kind of abused as a kid. He mother was SUPPER controlling, and still is to a point. (but she feels obligated to take care of her mother) But this is why my wife needs the counseling, and the meds. Her mother really F'ed her up.

At this point... even though it's killing me... I feel she has earned a little time to get her head on straight. And making posts helps me get through this.

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 25th February 2019 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Truncate quote; fix spacing
Blind-Sided is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gone Gone andd Gone... blue_jay_bird Breaks and Breaking Up 0 11th March 2013 10:32 PM
Nat'l Geographic, Feb 2006 - What is Love? alphamale General Relationship Discussion 32 17th February 2006 6:37 PM
Feb 14 - God I hate this day noclobber General Relationship Discussion 24 15th February 2006 2:32 PM
lost my fiance of 4 years on 1st feb 06 buck fizz Coping 4 5th February 2006 5:14 PM
Back at sq. 1 for Feb. 14. Brainstorming again.. basscatcher Dating 6 1st February 2006 6:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:09 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2018 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.