How to work through a list of problems when you don't want the relationship.

I have been with my girlfriend for almost two years, we have a one year old daughter (do the maths) so I want this to work for her sake.

I have been very unhappy and have a list of problems that I don't think I can live with in the relationship. They are my fault and hers, but I think she doesn't want to change and I cannot motivate myself to work on these problems.

Has anyone been in this position? What could help?

Sleepy3456,

If you truly don't think you can live with these problems then you need to stop wasting each other's time and leave the relationship.

You can still co-parent this child even if you don't live together.

It is better for your child to come from a "broken home" than live in one. :)

• Like 1
I cannot motivate myself to work on these problems.

we have a one year old daughter (do the maths) so I want this to work for her sake.

I'm trying to understand how both of these things can be true?

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks to both replies

Mr Lucky

If you don't know how it can be hard to motivate yourself to do hard work to achieve a long term goal the name suits you. :laugh:

Mr Lucky

If you don't know how it can be hard to motivate yourself to do hard work to achieve a long term goal the name suits you. :laugh:

Sleepy3456, lots of things in life are hard, including working on a struggling marriage. I find motivation in my family and the life I want to provide for them.

If that motivation eludes you, perhaps we're both aptly named...

Mr. Lucky

somanymistakes
I have been with my girlfriend for almost two years, we have a one year old daughter (do the maths) so I want this to work for her sake.

I have been very unhappy and have a list of problems that I don't think I can live with in the relationship. They are my fault and hers, but I think she doesn't want to change and I cannot motivate myself to work on these problems.

Has anyone been in this position? What could help?

You "think" she doesn't want to change? Have you even talked to her?

The title of your discussion says it all...

Why would you work through all your problems if you don't want the relationship? Isn't that just a recipe for unhappiness and failure?

I understand, you have a child... but, isn't it better for the child to have two happy, healthy homes than one unhappy, dysfunctional home? It's quite possible to coparent, from two different residences...

• Like 2
  • Author

Sorry for late reply

You "think" she doesn't want to change? Have you even talked to her?

Yes, she either says that she has changed, can't change, or that I shouldn't want her to change.

She says it's unfair as she doesn't ask me to change, I have told her I would prefer if she did to save me guessing what she wants.