Tracked & Followed?

​I am half way completing my divorce, seperated some time ago around 2 years ago, but now believe after all this time, that I have been followed by an investigator instructed by my ex-wife.

I am not sure why this has happened now but believe it could be to get any ''supposed'' information before the split. The divorce was started around a year ago, and is progressing if not a longer than expected.

I feel my privacy has been invaded and its obviously to get a bigger share morally to the financial split which is in contention.

I am sure at the first court hearing, that any conduct issues were ignored and not relevant as the divorce was already started and being carried out.

It seems to have been done to get extra points, which I am sure a court won't entertain?

Can anyone give any thoughts on this, as to whether this is a complete waste of time on the partners side, or whether this can be brought up?

If you've been completely honest in your financial disclosure then it will have been a waste of your wife's time and money trying to dig up dirt on you. The usual reason for hiring a PI is to discover hidden assets/income that hasn't been declared. If you're hiding nothing, then you have nothing to fear.

If you feel your privacy has been invaded or you have been harassed and want to take action about it, you should see a solicitor.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks, as well as following you, can they get access to my private email accounts, bank accounts, as surely this is an invasion of privacy?

Even i struggle to get into my bank accounts, paypal, email if ive lost a password, let alone an investigation!

• Author

I thought this too!

So its just a case of following someone, to observe movements, as ive never encountered any of this before, but have been told that i could have been tracked (via my car or device on my car?)

Again I am still unsure if this is legal?

It is definitely illegal to place a tracking device on someone else's car without their knowledge / permission.

• Author

Thank you, I have tried to find some sort of evidence online, and got a mixed bag, with some saying this is what Investigators do, to your reply, that it is totally illegal!

So obviously I am just trying to find out a definitive answer.

I am sure they could look up mobile phone numbers, or follow individuals, as anyone is free to do that, but the tracking vehicles, and bank account access i would think is totally over the mark and illegal???

Edited by MrPolite

Opposition have deep pockets? Professional-grade gear and operatives are expensive. Solicitor-level or better expensive.

Since electronic surveillance is so common these days, there's plenty of counter-surveillance gear and hacks out there to suss out the non-professionals and even some of the professional stuff.

Unless you're a big target, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are a big target, you have the wherewithal to hire professionals to deal with this suspicion.

FWIW, spooks do illegal stuff all the time. The hard part is catching them and proving it. Meanwhile, the intel is out there. Fruit of the poison tree but still....

Unless your financial split is into seven figures or higher, I doubt anything substantial is going on. The numbers wouldn't crunch out.

That's my .02 as someone who's messed with the gear and did go through a divorce with a substantial settlement. Neither my exW nor I were vindictive though, both seeking to line the pockets of others as little as possible. Here they call it 'amicable'. If you can find your way to that IMO things will go a lot smoother. Good luck!

• Like 1

I tracked my wife with $150 tracker off amazon and a $20 a month subscription. Showed me within 50 feet where she was at all times.

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

Was there infidelity or some other kind of betrayal involved in your divorce? This seems more like a case of your ex wanting to track your physical movements, not your bank accounts.

• Like 2
  • Author
Was there infidelity or some other kind of betrayal involved in your divorce? This seems more like a case of your ex wanting to track your physical movements, not your bank accounts.

Yes I think you are right. She 'thinks' there was infidelity now, after all this time since the divorce was started, so I am being followed, which at this point Im not sure what it proves unless she has money to burn?

Yes I think you are right. She 'thinks' there was infidelity now, after all this time since the divorce was started, so I am being followed, which at this point Im not sure what it proves unless she has money to burn?

Those that have nothing to hide, hide nothing.

So you worrying indicates that you have plenty to hide.

• Like 2
She 'thinks' there was infidelity now, after all this time since the divorce was started

Since you're separated and mid-divorce, doubt the courts would see what you're doing now as infidelity.

Im not sure what it proves unless she has money to burn?

Many of your questions are curious as you'd seem best qualified to have the answers...

Mr. Lucky

To my knowledge people do this to catch someone cheating or having an affair. But if the divorce has already begun I don't see how that info would even help her at all.

Is there children involved? Sometimes people will also do this to make a parent look bad thus winning custody battles.

Whatever the case she wants to catch you in bad behavior, for some reason.

• Like 2

I've been told that infidelity can color the character of a defendant in any a lot of judges eyes.

don't do it. If you are I''d suggest you zip it 'till you are legally single.

good luck

• Like 2

the court knows there's no cameras in a bedroom. So....kissing in public....caught on film....is just a good.....(for her)

• Like 1
To my knowledge people do this to catch someone cheating or having an affair. But if the divorce has already begun I don't see how that info would even help her at all.

Usually when one spouse suspects the other of hiding marital assets, having alternate income stream, etc. To see if he is living beyond his means, working when he said he's not, taking large amounts of cash out of a bank, etc.

Calmandfocused

Goodness, another thread that's touched a raw nerve for me.

Op, I had tracker devices fitted to my car and voice recorders and cameras planted all over my home. In addition to threats of footage of me getting undressed being posted on the internet... I took the matter to court...

The result? After a lot of effort and expense I was successful in being granted a non molestation order ;). My exH truely believed he was well within his rights to monitor my every move. He was wrong!

You have rights of privacy as an individual and morally this is just plain wrong in the eyes of the law. Get your evidence together that your being followed. You may well need it.

• Like 1

Unless there's kids involved and your socializing could be seen as reckless for the kids, you're right. Not sure it's fair, but at least most states don't consider cheating when considering the settlement of the case. But yes, people do this. Now, if there's kids involved, you shouldn't be drinking or smoking or dating even if you're smart until it's all decided and final.

• Author

You have rights of privacy as an individual and morally this is just plain wrong in the eyes of the law. Get your evidence together that your being followed. You may well need it.

I thought this maybe the case, and I'm sure its illegal to have your car 'tracked', Calmandfocused??

I dont have any hard evidence that i have been followed, but she has admitted it to another party, so not sure what exactly has been involved, whether followed, tracked etc? :(