Ex wife changed her FIRST name?

I know it's common for ex wives to change their last name back to maiden after divorce, but what about first name? I verbally heard my ex today give her name to a government office and she changed her first name. Even the document had a different name. Basically she changed the letters of the second half of the name. It's not just a common name alteration like Katherine to Kate or Kathy. She completely changed it.

My guess is that she doesn't want to have her identity show up in searches because she was arrested a few years ago for assaulting me. Would this be a reason why a woman would change her name? I remember looking on her Facebook page last year and seeing this new name of hers, but figures it was just a "cute" little thing--until she put it down on a document today and verbally used it in my presence.

What's your opinion?

It could be a reason. She could have also changed it for other reasons.

My daughter changed her name because there were too many other girls with the same name

Edited by basil67
My guess is that she doesn't want to have her identity show up in searches because she was arrested a few years ago for assaulting me. Would this be a reason why a woman would change her name?

Did she revert back to her maiden name also, changing both names? It does sound as though she's considering the Witness Protection Program...

Mr. Lucky

• Author
Did she revert back to her maiden name also, changing both names? It does sound as though she's considering the Witness Protection Program...

Mr. Lucky

Wow, I didn't even know about this. I'm not sure why SHE would be part of this, since 1) she's the person who was arrested and had trial for assaulting me, and 2) she's the one with a disproven record of false accusations (all of which I had to spend time and money to defend).

I guess it's just a classic case of "projective identification"? Maybe she's accusing me of doing exactly what she does and fears retaliation (which is what SHE would do?)

I had a friend do this because she wanted to start anew with everything so she changed her first name to a name she always wanted. It probably means nothing more than she wants a fresh new start. Why are you watching her FB page?

• Like 3
  • Author
I had a friend do this because she wanted to start anew with everything so she changed her first name to a name she always wanted. It probably means nothing more than she wants a fresh new start. Why are you watching her FB page?

I think you're right. She always needed constant novelty and was always experimenting with new names, not just for her but for her pets...and even our kids. I just never thought she would use them on official documents.