Feeling like the world is caving in

Hi,

I'm going through an extremely difficult separation.

I'm totally devastated and can't see any way out of the feelings of being so lonely, the emptiness, hopelessness and pain.

I am at a point where I Am shutting people out .... I don't feel like there is anyway our of feeling like this

I have two young children and we will be having our first christmas not with my ex partners family (which is the way we have spent it for the past 7 years).

He doesn't seem to care and will be spending time with his new GF and her child over christmas (which is my brothers ex gf who he cheated with and left his family).

I just want the hurt to stop ... I am so consumed by it ...

Has anyone else who has experienced this come out the other side and have a positive story to tell?

Thank you so much

Bumble, you sound just like I did last year. My 27 yr marriage ended and I was scared, lonely and heartsick. The difference a year makes! Last Christmas, I woke up alone, the first time ever, as my kids have all left the nest. It was such a lonely feeling, but I went about my morning and then spent the day with my kids. I survived it and it made me stronger! I too did shut people out, but it was the time I needed to take to work on myself and just to get some therapy and think. I began to take my days one hour at a time, then one day at a time, and now I am in a wonderful place in my life. Time....you just need time, but you will be fine, I promise you that, just take each hour as it comes. You will begin to have better days, then some crappy ones, but then the better days will outweigh the crappy ones and life will look brighter. If you need time to yourself, take it, but don't shut everyone out for too long. Once I finally let my friends in, and opened up to them, I began living again and life became more fun than I've ever known.....and met the man of my dreams too! You can do this.

• Like 4

Ditto the above OP. Hugs.

Don't stress too much about christmas decorations etc. Do some fun activities with the kids. Start a new tradition. Ask for input from the kids on this.

• Like 1

Bumble, I'm in the same boat right now. I just got my own apartment 2 weeks ago after being together for 7 years, and we share 2 kids. I've been going through some pretty low moments too. I don't recommend meds at all, but I knew I would need something to help me get through the holidays..so my Dr. prescribed me some Xanax..now I only take 1 when I feel an extreme moment come over me..I don't take them everyday. I also have anxiety issues, so I guess I'm more prone to being a wreck at times.

This site is great, I'm glad I found it.

• Author

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It really helps hearing other people's experiences and how you've dealt with it and come through the other side.