Married in Bulgaria - How to Divorce?

I married in Bulgaria. My wife left this country 1.5 years ago.

Do I have to go to Bulgaria to divorce, or I can do it in USA?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

GorillaTheater

Yes, you can file for divorce in the US even though the marriage occurred in another country.

The trick will be whether the court can exercise jurisdiction over your wife if she's back in Bulgaria. You're going to need an attorney in your state to answer that one.

• Author
Yes, you can file for divorce in the US even though the marriage occurred in another country.

The trick will be whether the court can exercise jurisdiction over your wife if she's back in Bulgaria. You're going to need an attorney in your state to answer that one.

Thank you!

GorillaTheater

Do you have a copy of the marriage certificate? If not, how tough will it be to get a copy from Bulgaria?

are you a us Citizen or a legal resident? if yest you can file for divorce? however it will not be necessary recognized in your Country of origin. you will have to ask a lawyer. my coworker was married in Ukraine and got divorced here, she told me that in Ukraine she is still considered married, they needed to file in the embassy but her ex husband didn't care,

• Author
are you a us Citizen or a legal resident? if yest you can file for divorce? however it will not be necessary recognized in your Country of origin. you will have to ask a lawyer. my coworker was married in Ukraine and got divorced here, she told me that in Ukraine she is still considered married, they needed to file in the embassy but her ex husband didn't care,

I am a US citizen since last year.

My country of origin is Soviets. The wife is from Bulgaria. care only about the status in US.

I appreciate your response.

Thank you