My kids only see their friends at ex-MIL's, not mom's?

Before I start, I know somebody is going to tell me that it's "none of my business" where and what my ex-wife does with my kids on her time, etc. You may be right but I'm still going to ask this because I'm curious how this (along with other things) will play out in the long run.

I asked my 6 year old about where he plays with his friends outside of school. It turns out he has NEVER had friends over his mom's house. Every time he sees his friends for play (and it's quite often) it's at the grandmother's house. I suspect this is because my ex-wife was never much of a hostess and didn't like people in her house. It was a combination of anxiety and her dislike of people.

Has anyone heard of a situation like this? What will my kids think as time goes along? Will they wonder why they never have friends over THEIR house? (It's not like she lives in a run-down apartment in a shady area. She OWNS her home in a downtown, historic area of town which is generally nice.)

Thanks!

My parents never allowed other children in our house growing up, wasn't a big deal. I'd relax as your child is only 6 years old. Maybe your ex will loosen up when your child is a teen and can ask to invite friends over. I'm a mummy and wouldn't invite children over unless I had a very close relationship with the parents. when my kids are older and they want to have friends over, sure I'll check with the other child's parents and get the ok, but at 6! Relax

• Like 1
  • Author
My parents never allowed other children in our house growing up, wasn't a big deal. I'd relax as your child is only 6 years old. Maybe your ex will loosen up when your child is a teen and can ask to invite friends over. I'm a mummy and wouldn't invite children over unless I had a very close relationship with the parents. when my kids are older and they want to have friends over, sure I'll check with the other child's parents and get the ok, but at 6! Relax

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I just have a different opinion. Even as a father (which are generally not into playdates as much), I personally would have no problem with this. I don't see the big deal.

• Like 1