can i fire my attorney?? Sign my husband's atty's papers.

Can I fire my attorney? Can I just go to my husbands lawyer and sign the settlement agreement she drafted? I want to settle now. I don't want to drag it on any longer. I want to just accept the child support and 50/50 split from my husband, but my attorney thinks it's not enough and that I deserve alimony. I just want OUT and I don't want more legal fees...it is not worth it. I don't have a lot of money to begin with. My attorney is known for dragggging things on and squeezing every dime out of their clients. Too bad I didn't know this before I signed with him.

What are my options???

Yes, you can certainly fire your lawyer. Nobody can compel you to hire or continue to employ a lawyer. All you have to do is call and write and say, "You're fired."

But....should you? Do you know how much your lawyer thinks your alimony should be? Is your husband even able to pay it? Will your lawyer agree to not be paid until he wins a motion to have your husband pay his fees? If I were you, I would try to get answers from my current lawyer before I let him go.

Don't reach for a short term solution that creates a long term problem. Good luck!

Duh. Get another attorney now. Are you nuts? You want to give up your alimony for your legal fee? She's known for this and that? Why the f is she working for you? Get your shyt together right now. Don't screw around with dumb ass questions like this. I am very sorry -- but someone obviously needs to talk TURKEY to you. Now let us know you progress tomorrow, toot sweet.

Can I fire my attorney? Can I just go to my husbands lawyer and sign the settlement agreement she drafted? I want to settle now. I don't want to drag it on any longer. I want to just accept the child support and 50/50 split from my husband, but my attorney thinks it's not enough and that I deserve alimony. I just want OUT and I don't want more legal fees...it is not worth it. I don't have a lot of money to begin with. My attorney is known for dragggging things on and squeezing every dime out of their clients. Too bad I didn't know this before I signed with him.

What are my options???

One option is to remember that HE works for YOU, and that you can direct him that the agreement and settlement on the table are acceptable to you and you want to move forward and accept them.

Is he refusing to take your direction in this matter? Or are you uncomfortable calling the shots?

He works for you. Listen to his advice and consider it (and do consider whether you are making a rash decision in the heat of the moment), but in the end you make the decisions, and you call the shots. If you are not the type of person who can do that, then you'll need to find a lawyer who won't steamroll you, but the root issue is about you taking control of the process.

Why do people think that they work for their attorney? You are paying the bills. Your attorney works for YOU. They can offer advice but at the end of the day it is you who makes the decision. If you want to accept the offer that your ex's attorney has made then you should instruct your attorney to accept it. He may advise against it but he cannot refuse your instruction. He is paid to do a job.

YOU are the client and YOU call the shots.