Separation...Now What?

So now I got my wife to agree to a separation. We agreed that 12 months seems like sufficient time to make any kind of life altering decisions--divorce.

I need to hear from others...

Is separation just a long drawn-out break up?

Is it a good sign that my wife agreed to it?

Does it mean that even though she is convinced that she wants a divorce, that she is open to possibilities?

Could it be that she simply feels sorry/guilty for leaving me and she wants to give me time to get over it before she does the deed?

I know everyone is different, but I would like to hear some stories about separation. Some opinions from anyone who has heard my story would be nice too...

Thanks!

Where I live, by law you have to be separated 12 months before you can get a divorce.

I believe if you have agreed to separate, then it's probably already over. I don't know of too many people that have gotten back together after that length of time, if they have, then it's pretty rare.

• Author

Where I live, there is absolutely no requirement of separation for divorce... We could file and be divorced in as little as 60 days if all was uncontested.

That is a rather grim outlook on the situation, :( maybe I am just sugar-coating some terrible news so that it is easier for me to swallow?

Has anybody out there ever gotten back together after a legal separation?

Now I am VERY interested to hear some opinions...........

Thanks!

I hope someone can give you more hopeful advice than I can. I told my husband we were just separating temporarily just to get him to sign the papers. I had to trick him, because he was very abusive. I don't know your situation.