Christian Couples Counseling vs. Regular Marriage Counseling

heartbrokensj

Has anyone ever been through Christian Marriage Counseling? If so what are your opinions on this vs. regular marriage counseling? I've read on other sites that Christian marriage counselors are more prone on saving a marriage before calling it quits whereas just "regular" marriage counselors do not. Just wanted everyones' thoughts and input on this.... :love:

Me & my former wife went to a regular counselor, then after she left I started to see a Christian counselor & just like with everything you will get 1,000 different opinions, but for me the Christian counselor worked much better.

I wished me & the former wife could have gone together.

I agree, they do try & keep the marriage together & do more then just tell you to start "dating" your spouse again.

One thing you have to remember, the rate of divorce inside the church is just as high as non believers, so it boils down to both parties need to want to make it work.

husband and I went through a Marriage Encounter weekend about a decade ago, an event sponsored by the Catholic Church, and yeah, it managed to touch on subjects in a way that appealed to our Christian nature (he was raised Episcopalian, so the terminology was very familiar). Best of all, it helped us incorporate the kind of attitude we'd felt all along but weren't sure how to successfully bring into the marriage ...

the appeal of a Christian-based – or really, any religious relationship counseling – is that it focuses on that third important member of the marriage: God.

• Author
heartbrokensj
Me & my former wife went to a regular counselor, then after she left I started to see a Christian counselor & just like with everything you will get 1,000 different opinions, but for me the Christian counselor worked much better.

I wished me & the former wife could have gone together.

I agree, they do try & keep the marriage together & do more then just tell you to start "dating" your spouse again.

One thing you have to remember, the rate of divorce inside the church is just as high as non believers, so it boils down to both parties need to want to make it work.

PWSX3, thanks so much for sharing your experience with this. I for some thought the rate of divorce for believers would be less than those who do not go to church so I am glad that you pointed that out. You're right i guess it does boil down to both parties involved.

• Author
heartbrokensj
Best of all, it helped us incorporate the kind of attitude we'd felt all along but weren't sure how to successfully bring into the marriage ...

the appeal of a Christian-based – or really, any religious relationship counseling – is that it focuses on that third important member of the marriage: God.

I like the appeal of the 3rd member in the marriage: God. This is something I have tried to bring to the forefront of our marriage but in my case it maybe too little to late but not for myself. Thanks for sharing your experience with this.