Hi everyone - hope somebody can help!

I have been married for 30 years, have three children ages 26,23 and 14 plus a beautiful granddaughter.

I haven't been really happy with my husband in many ways for quite a few years- no intimacy etc. Also I feel there has been no emotional or mental support through bringing up our children.

I have contacted a solicitor to start divorce proceedings and have told my husband , who is very angry and has said all sorts of horriblwe things regarding money etc.

I am going for some counselling but I feel so confused - how do I know it's what i really want - I dont want to do too much too soon then regret it all.

I am also really worried about my children hating me for it.

Take it step by step as slowly as you need. The counselling will help you through this process. As you have understandable doubts, is it possible for your husband to also go to counselling with you - to see whether your marriage can be saved or if it can't be saved, end it as amicably as you can especially for the sake of your children.

As for your children hating you - please stop worrying about this. Your children are better having divorced but happy parents rather than miserable married parents.

• Author

Thanks for that - yes i suppose I can take it slowly and I must try to persuade him to come to counselling with me ( he refused to come to the first couple session but he had been to his individual session).

I want to keep things as pleasant as possible - we also have a holiday booked in a couple of weeks - I really need one!