"Divorced" on applications

Going to fill out an application for a new job, and was wondering what the reasoning is for having "divorced" as a status (vs. single or married). Is there a legal reason for it? As long as the divorce is final, what implications could it possibly have except give the girls in the HR department something to gossip about.

65 days to go on the waiting period, then my divorce will be final (my state has 90 day waiting period). Any reason not to put "single"? I understand why dating websites and such would want to know, but why a business?

I've never seen that on an application. I work in HR and we don't ask that question on anything but the tax forms...becasue we need it. That's strange!

Going to fill out an application for a new job, and was wondering what the reasoning is for having "divorced" as a status (vs. single or married). Is there a legal reason for it? As long as the divorce is final, what implications could it possibly have except give the girls in the HR department something to gossip about.

I think the reason behind it is to have a vague idea bout credit history, spousal support, child support, etc., but it's very weird that question is on a job application if it doesn't relate to the job duties or the company.

Not only is it weird, it might potentially be illegal for discrimination based on marital status (currently not as protected as other categories such as race, gender, religion, national origin, etc.).