I messed up big time!

Ill try & keep this short but all thoughts would be very welcome.

Started seeing D in Sept & at first things were great until my ex (of 6 yrs) came back on the scene. Basically, my thoughts went where they shouldn't have gone & i ended things with D at the weekend because i couldn't stand the guilt & the doubts. He said he knew it was coming, was gutted but was ok with it.

The minute D left on Sunday night, i knew i'd made a big mistake. I explained how i felt & whilst he's very confused about the situation, he thinks it's probably for the best as he's started having doubts recently. He's said he'd love to give things another go but can't as there shouldn't be any doubts & he needs to feel 100% sure about it & doesn't think he does.

I've messed up & don't want to let him go. I've let thoughts of my ex stop me from giving things with D a chance. I realise this now & consequently, have contacted the ex & asked him to stop contact, which he understands. I know i've kept my distance with D from the start & i've let him do all the running which hasn't been fair. I've had a big wake up call & can only hope it hasn't come too late. I'm seeing D on Thursday & don't know how to act or what to say, etc. I know he thinks alot about me & can understand the doubts because i've unwillingly made them happen, but i want the opportunity to try & make things right, without contact from the ex messing with my head. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated - thanks