How To Move On

desperatelyseeking

desperatelyseeking

Can we talk more about "moving on" like the practical steps does it mean to go on a date with someone else or sleep with someone or what exactly in terms of practical measures to literally move on??

Happy Lemming

Delete that person's phone number.

Put away any pictures or gifts or reminders (in a box at the back of your closet)

Give my home a good cleaning including washing the sheets, blankets, comforter, everything (get rid of any residual perfume smells, etc.)

When that is finished, go out... go get social... meet people... talk to people... have a beer at the local pub. Join human kind.

Its not going to do me any good to sit on my couch and think about what the other person is doing without me, or if they are having fun, or if they are sleeping with someone or thinking about what might have been.

When I go out on a date with someone new, they are not the previous person and shouldn't have to deal with the crap that was previously inflicted on me, same with having sex with someone new, fresh slate, fresh new chapter of life, clean new sheet of paper to start writing on.

• Like 1

These are my steps:

1. Grieve the loss of the relationship. You get a short time immediately after the break up to cry & wallow. You can't miss more than 1 day of work school but have yourself a good cry.

2. Purge. Get rid of all the stuff. Either throw it all out or put it in a box then hide the box in the attic. If you can't delete the photos save them to a thumb drive & stick that in the box too.

3. Get support. Surround yourself with good people -- family, dear friends people who will lift you up.

4. Reinvent. Get a new haircut; buy some new clothes, rearrange the furniture in your house. Just do something different.

5. Move. Go to the gym. Take up running. Get sun on your face.

• Like 1
  • Author
desperatelyseeking
These are my steps:

1. Grieve the loss of the relationship. You get a short time immediately after the break up to cry & wallow. You can't miss more than 1 day of work school but have yourself a good cry.

2. Purge. Get rid of all the stuff. Either throw it all out or put it in a box then hide the box in the attic. If you can't delete the photos save them to a thumb drive & stick that in the box too.

3. Get support. Surround yourself with good people -- family, dear friends people who will lift you up.

4. Reinvent. Get a new haircut; buy some new clothes, rearrange the furniture in your house. Just do something different.

I've done all that. Its actually been two years...no...one year or a year and a half...I dont know

the dude is starting to come back into my dreams and thoughts it is completely annoying I would choose not to think about him like thinking about him getting married feels competitive rather than jealous its weird with him i still think we had this soulful weird connection but I'm so Over it ps this make sense im half asleep...

• Author
desperatelyseeking
Apply no contact is you're only option to "move on".

No contact. I literally have no idea where or what this guy is doing. There is zero contact. I stopped going places I thought he might be. Nothing the guy is dead to me.

• Author
desperatelyseeking
these are my steps:

thanks all for replies. This forum is lovely and kind. :)

Happy Lemming

To OP...

What steps have you done to get back out there?? Have you gone on any dates??

Have you gone out for a pint of Guinness??

By the way, I'm super jealous you get the good Guinness in Ireland; I've heard it is so much better than what we get here in the US.

• Like 1
  • Author
desperatelyseeking
To OP...

What steps have you done to get back out there?? Have you gone on any dates??

Have you gone out for a pint of Guinness??

By the way, I'm super jealous you get the good Guinness in Ireland; I've heard it is so much better than what we get here in the US.

NO LOL WHAT IS A DATE LOL oh maybe last Saturday me and a male friend talked intimately for like two hours.

I do like an oul Guinness but with blackcurrant which is sacrilege lol

Happy Lemming

Are there any local pubs that you can frequent (by yourself)?? There has got to be a nice neighborhood bar... You are in Ireland, come on.

Do men approach you or talk to you when you are out in public?? Do you have any hobbies/sports?? Do you watch soccer?? What efforts have you made to get back out there??

A year or so is a long time not to date...

• Author
desperatelyseeking

HMM This is making me think about my dating life.

Do I go to pubs? Sometimes

Do I play sports? No

I am in a writing group. There are averagely attractive men in it. I notice I am one of the fittest in the group I keep in Shape I'm pretty I get comments you're pretty.

Does anyone use the word date in Ireland...to be honest nobody says date in Ireland. Hmm I think this is the reason I'm thinking about my ex and talking to men from 4 years ago lol

Ok so logically to start dating I need to what ask someone out? I did get hurt though now and Jesus I couldn't go through that again! It nearly killed me!

Happy Lemming

Do I go to pubs? Sometimes

Well, then... go out tonight and have a pint of Guinness!

I'm with you in spirit!!

Maybe just maybe, you'll no longer be "desperately seeking", you'll be found. If you see a guy you find attractive, strike up a conversation, see where it goes. Bond over a pint or two.