What does she really want?

So it's been over a year since I broke up with my ex. It took quite a while but a few months ago we finally got back on good terms and started talking again.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and she tells me she still has feelings for me and would like to give it another go but at a slow pace.

I was completely fine with the slow pace and we even discussed how it would likely go over the next few months while we feel each other out to see how things go.

So after that we text/chat almost every day and things seem to be progressing well. I ask when we can get together in person and then don't hear back for a few days. When she finally replies, she says she's been thinking and doesn't think the time is right because a few of the things she's been dealing with aren't completely done and says if we're meant to be together, the world will bring us together when the time is right.

My problem is that I feel she will always have an excuse and the time will never be right.

We never really got to discuss the issue any further as she told me she had visitors for a few days and it wasn't a good time to talk but said that we would discuss once they're gone. They were supposed to leave 3 days ago and I have yet to hear from her.

I have so many questions for her right now but don't want to bombard her which is why I'm coming on her, partly to vent, partly for answers.

So what I'd like to know is opinions on the following:

- Do you think she's really interested in trying again or just stringing me along? She keeps saying she really meant what she said and honesty is one of the things she values a lot so it really pisses her off whenever I don't believe something she says.

- How should I proceed with the current situation of her not getting back to me? On the one hand, if she's not ready to have a conversation, I don't want to push her and scare her away but on the other hand, we're going to need to have that discussion at some point.

I just find it very strange how things were starting to go well and all of a sudden she just pulls this 180 on me.

Based on your past threads, I'm not surprised that you're in this situation.

Is she dating someone else? It sounds like there is someone else in the picture and she's distracted by him. The fact that she finds no urgency in dealing with you is enough to tell that there is something or someone that is of priority at the moment.

I'm not sure why you decided to get back with her. It didn't seem healthy then and it doesn't seem healthy now.

So it's been over a year since I broke up with my ex. It took quite a while but a few months ago we finally got back on good terms and started talking again.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and she tells me she still has feelings for me and would like to give it another go but at a slow pace.

I was completely fine with the slow pace and we even discussed how it would likely go over the next few months while we feel each other out to see how things go.

So after that we text/chat almost every day and things seem to be progressing well. I ask when we can get together in person and then don't hear back for a few days. When she finally replies, she says she's been thinking and doesn't think the time is right because a few of the things she's been dealing with aren't completely done and says if we're meant to be together, the world will bring us together when the time is right.

My problem is that I feel she will always have an excuse and the time will never be right.

We never really got to discuss the issue any further as she told me she had visitors for a few days and it wasn't a good time to talk but said that we would discuss once they're gone. They were supposed to leave 3 days ago and I have yet to hear from her.

I have so many questions for her right now but don't want to bombard her which is why I'm coming on her, partly to vent, partly for answers.

So what I'd like to know is opinions on the following:

- Do you think she's really interested in trying again or just stringing me along? She keeps saying she really meant what she said and honesty is one of the things she values a lot so it really pisses her off whenever I don't believe something she says.

- How should I proceed with the current situation of her not getting back to me? On the one hand, if she's not ready to have a conversation, I don't want to push her and scare her away but on the other hand, we're going to need to have that discussion at some point.

I just find it very strange how things were starting to go well and all of a sudden she just pulls this 180 on me.

Keep it simple man and observe the actions. Not the words.

A person who wants to be with you, won't risk losing you and she seems to doing a hell of a lot of risking there with this second chance that you were good enough to give her. If she valued that, you wouldn't be feeling like you have to force that conversation out of her. She'd just have that conversation with you because she'd want to and because she respects you.

Know yourself worth. You could be with anyone else but you risked your heart again to give her a second chance and here she is doing this. For that reason alone, I'm willing to bet there's another guy in the picture and she's trying to figure out what she wants so she's keeping you on the backburner.

Do nothing. If she said you two could talk about things after those people left and she still hasn't contacted you..that's an answer in itself.

It's all in the actions.

I can already see she's beginning to damage you. If she wants to take her sweet time and risk blowing this second chance, that's her call. You respect yourself and start looking forward. Don't give her a 3rd.

- Beach

Edited by Beachead
  • Author

Is she dating someone else? It sounds like there is someone else in the picture and she's distracted by him. .

That's actually one of the issues she's still dealing with. She was with another guy when we started talking again and supposedly dumped him for us to give it another try but since they were living together, he's apparently having a hard time finding another place to live.

As I said, I have many questions for her and a lot are regarding that situation. If that's the main reason for it not being the right time, just tell me and I'll help you find a spot for him to go.

Also if you're wondering, no I can't see her changing her mind to go back to him. From what she's told me, she wasn't happy at all with him and he always put himself ahead of her and her son so she didn't see a future at all with him. He wouldn't even let the kid watch cartoons if there was something he'd want to watch instead.

I'm pretty sure the only reason she stayed with him this long was so he could babysit while she was at work since her summer job has bad hours for a single mom. Her boss is apparently helping her out to figure something out there though.

• Author
Keep it simple man and observe the actions. Not the words.

- Beach

This is actually what I told her before she "deferred" our discussion so I'm waiting to see if the reason she's taking so long is because she's actually taking action and sorting things out in her life or if she just ignored my comment entirely in which case I likely have the answer to my first question.

This is actually what I told her before she "deferred" our discussion so I'm waiting to see if the reason she's taking so long is because she's actually taking action and sorting things out in her life or if she just ignored my comment entirely in which case I likely have the answer to my first question.

I'd probably do the same as you just so I won't live with the question of "What if I blew it jumping to conclusions?" Be prepared for the worst though.

- Beach

That's actually one of the issues she's still dealing with. She was with another guy when we started talking again and supposedly dumped him for us to give it another try but since they were living together, he's apparently having a hard time finding another place to live.

As I said, I have many questions for her and a lot are regarding that situation. If that's the main reason for it not being the right time, just tell me and I'll help you find a spot for him to go.

Also if you're wondering, no I can't see her changing her mind to go back to him. From what she's told me, she wasn't happy at all with him and he always put himself ahead of her and her son so she didn't see a future at all with him. He wouldn't even let the kid watch cartoons if there was something he'd want to watch instead.

I'm pretty sure the only reason she stayed with him this long was so he could babysit while she was at work since her summer job has bad hours for a single mom. Her boss is apparently helping her out to figure something out there though.

I would caution you not to always take another person's word as gospel. She can tell you a lot of things but it doesn't always mean that it's the truth. I'm not saying she's lying but don't be gullible.

It's not your position to find a place for him to go. It's her relationship with him and she needs to tie that loose end with him. It seems like she has unfinished business with him, regardless of the dynamic of their relationship.

And unless you were situated in that relationship with them, it would be best to step away from speculating. Focus on action. If I were you, I'd step back. It doesn't seem that she's ready to fully be in a relationship with you.

• Like 1
ExpatInItaly

I'm sorry OP, but I would almost put money on the fact that she's likely giving it another go with her boyfriend.

Either way, she's been clear she doesn't want to date you right now. Believe her, and bow out. Move on. If she wanted to be with you, she'd find a way.

• Author
I'm sorry OP, but I would almost put money on the fact that she's likely giving it another go with her boyfriend.

I'm kind of thinking the same which I find ridiculous with the way she talked about him. Damn women are just so confusing lol.

BluesPower
I'm kind of thinking the same which I find ridiculous with the way she talked about him. Damn women are just so confusing lol.

Actually, they are not confusing but this one is really simple.

I have not read your other threads but I guess that she meet someone and you two kind of "broke up". I could be wrong but that does not really matter.

Here is what you need to know. When a woman WANTS to be with you, she will do whatever it takes to get with you, it is absolutely that simple.

What she is doing now is enjoying the attention from at least 2 men and one of them is you.

She enjoys the attention and you are not number one.

What you have to know, is that you NEVER want to be one of many.

You need to move on from this one and ignore her, you probably won't and you will continue to waste time with her to your detriment.

Time for a new one...

• Like 1

She said she wanted to try again but wanted to take it slow. Fair enough. You gave her this chance and here she is taking advantage of it. Why are you in the dark? Why is she not talking to you? Why is she not showing any urgency or desire to work on things? If she wants to be with you, why isn't she with you then? Every moment she's treating you like this, someone else could be winning you over. Do you think she'd risk that if she wanted to be with you? No. She wouldn't.

Right now, she thinks she has you in her back pocket. I'm sure you've been with interested women which means you know they'll make it happen. Interested women make us feel like champions because they don't resist in such a way that kills potential for something. Everything just works out and flows smoothly because they leave all the doors open and all we have to do is walk through it.

With this woman, there is resistance that is risking things. Yes, you have her words but people say and feel things all the time. It doesnt mean anything unless they act on those feelings and materialize it into action. Where are hers?

The answers are in the actions. Not the words. Read those and you'll know exactly what to do.

I have failed and suffered a lot in my own relationship experiences but it wasn't in vain. I have learned a few things.

Don't be attached to an outcome. Don't be afraid to walk away. Don't make attaining a woman your goal. Your goals should be non-relationship oriented. Know the value of your time and your emotions. Know what and whom you have in your life and appreciating it all. When you know your worth, and you have identity, people can't mess with you because you respect yourself. You have boundaries. You can say no. You can walk away. You know yourself and you're good with or without that person.

- Beach

Edited by Beachead
  • Like 2
CrazyKatLady

Amen! Pass the bread, Beach! Words to live by! Well said!

Maybe you could try her back after she has her crud together...poor woman...hustling to get back with you, all while leaving some dude out in the dust...I foresee a wake up call heading in her direction soon.

Leave the ex's behind. Find someone who isn't swapping one pecker for another...I sympathize with her and I think she may be trying to get rid of her current dude...but unless she is escaping an abusive or unhealthy habitat, she just looks a fool. Ahhh...ladies, ladies, ladies, when will we learn to keep our legs closed and have respect for ourselves like beachside said...I don't know if her hammie is worth it, but I'd like to see you two both split up. Neither person seems a good influence on the other. She's ditching some bozo and you are talking trash on here about it...yikes! Just saying.

She’s playing with you and she may be rubbing it in your face.

We used to call it monkey on a vine they won’t let go of one vine until they have a hand on another.

Many of these women are very insecure,can’t stand to be alone and can be very promiscuous.

Once this pattern starts it’ll repeat more than likely only it’ll get worse each cycle.Once another person gets involved and sleeps with the other on a break it’s basically over.

It takes months to heal up enough from one relationship before even dating another.She will bring her baggage from him into your life and she’ll be angry and more than likely repeat cycle with even another.

Do yourself a favor and kick her to the curb. She needs professional help because she’s simply not happy unless there’s drama in her life.

She was with another guy when we started talking again and supposedly dumped him for us to give it another try but since they were living together, he's apparently having a hard time finding another place to live.

Smh.

#1 - Don't you DARE ask this person to get together again. You did your part. You gave in. You chatted. You asked her out. Then she proved to you she was in this only for some attention bc when it came time for serious business in setting up a date, she went silent for days. Nope, not a good sign.

#2 - Walk away and don't look back at this point. If she contacts you then you tell her nice to hear from you but you're not interested in casual chit chat. Tell her to let you know when she wants to get together, and by the sounds of it, even if that does happen, i'd be cautious with this girl.

#3 - There is another guy. Whether it be the guy she was LIVING with, or another guy, let's not be naive, someone is in the picture.

Overall this thread is the perfect example of the old hot and cold push/pull type game that a lot of women are known for (no offense). You became scarce bc you weren't around. Then she wanted your attention again. She got it, then she got flaky again. Girls like this are not only not interested in you, they are no good in general as it's a characteristic of an insecure person. I could bet you anything if you go silent she'll be reaching out again in no time. My advice? Start moving on for good.

• Author

While I'm not disagreeing with anything that's been said here, I feel I have to say this:

I'm starting to see why so many relationships fail as everybody seems to only see the negative in everything and seem to think there's no way to fix anything.

I'm not saying things are eventually going to work out between me and this woman but looking at a bunch of other threads, that seems to be a common theme on these forums.

The thing a lot of people need to realize is that while people are normally posting on here because they're going through hard times, there were good times that got these people together as well.

Yes, something changed and brought them where they are now but that doesn't mean what they had before wasn't real.

In my case, we were head over heels for each other right until things went downhill. We couldn't stand it when we had to spend time apart. We had such a strong connection and both saw a future that had us together as a family.(When we started dating she didn't want any more kids but eventually she said she could actually see herself having another with me down the road)

I just feel like people are no longer willing to fight for things like that in relationships anymore. Why must everybody run away at the first sign of something wrong instead of working on it?

Like I said, I'm not saying you guys are wrong with all your comments. I just feel as though that's the mentality of everybody on these boards, as well as my ex which is why things aren't currently working out. If you really want to be happy, fight for what you want instead of running away. That's the reason I haven't let this woman go yet and if she continues to not want to be with me, so be it but in my mind I would be happier in the future working things out with her rather than be with anybody else I've dated.

PegNosePete
Why must everybody run away at the first sign of something wrong instead of working on it?

You should ask her this, not us! She's the one who has bailed and gone back to her ex.

Posters here can't fix the world's problems. We give you advice on what you should do in the situation you're in. She is showing you that she doesn't value you or your relationship. Why would you fight for someone who doesn't value you? It makes no sense.

You have to know when to hold em and when to fold em. When to walk away, and when to run!

BluesPower

I just feel like people are no longer willing to fight for things like that in relationships anymore. Why must everybody run away at the first sign of something wrong instead of working on it?

Like I said, I'm not saying you guys are wrong with all your comments. I just feel as though that's the mentality of everybody on these boards, as well as my ex which is why things aren't currently working out. If you really want to be happy, fight for what you want instead of running away. That's the reason I haven't let this woman go yet and if she continues to not want to be with me, so be it but in my mind I would be happier in the future working things out with her rather than be with anybody else I've dated.

The thing that you don't quite seem to want to understand is that there exist a "set of rules" or axioms if you will. They come from a long line of people that have been there done that, over and over again.

Here are a few, see I you relate to any of these:

1) Never appear weak with a woman. - Women, no matter what any of them say HATE weak men. They might marry them, or have kids with them but they do not respect them. And, they usually cheat on them.

2) Past a certain point, NEVER chase a woman. This goes with being weak. If you chased a little at the beginning of the relationship, OK that is courting. But when there is any type of break, you must let them come back to you. AND YOU have to move on. If they come back fine, maybe we can talk, maybe.

3) If a woman want to be with you, she will be. This is the bottom line. You don't chase her, you don't beg her, you do not become her puppy dog.

This is the reason that most here are tell you to let her go and move on.

EXPERIENCE...

• Like 1
  • Author
The thing that you don't quite seem to want to understand is that there exist a "set of rules" or axioms if you will. They come from a long line of people that have been there done that, over and over again.

Here are a few, see I you relate to any of these:

1) Never appear weak with a woman. - Women, no matter what any of them say HATE weak men. They might marry them, or have kids with them but they do not respect them. And, they usually cheat on them.

2) Past a certain point, NEVER chase a woman. This goes with being weak. If you chased a little at the beginning of the relationship, OK that is courting. But when there is any type of break, you must let them come back to you. AND YOU have to move on. If they come back fine, maybe we can talk, maybe.

3) If a woman want to be with you, she will be. This is the bottom line. You don't chase her, you don't beg her, you do not become her puppy dog.

This is the reason that most here are tell you to let her go and move on.

EXPERIENCE...

And why do these rules have to apply to every single relationship? Each relationship is different.

I appreciate that people are giving me their opinion based on their experiences and that's the reason I initially posted however I feel that on these boards, everybody's experiences are negative.

You all say she doesn't want to be with me but that's your opinion, not fact.

Maybe it's me being gullible however I do believe her when she says she still has feelings for me and that it's just not a good time, hence why I'm currently giving her time to sort it out. I'm not saying I'm going to sit and wait and not take any other opportunities that might come up either though.

She actually messaged me last night and we had a quick friendly chat. Nothing about our relationship, just discussing things we enjoy talking about.

This "what can you do for me now" mentality in society is why many relationships fail. I find people give up too easily. Why would you want to give up if you had exactly what you wanted? It may be a hard road to get back there but it may still be a better road than trying to find somebody else with whom you share a better connection with.

And yes I know she's the one I need to be telling this to and not you guys. I have told her this and she just changes the subject and never actually responds to it which is what makes me think that she knows I'm right but just doesn't want to admit it. (She's a very stubborn person lol)

BluesPower
And why do these rules have to apply to every single relationship? Each relationship is different.

I appreciate that people are giving me their opinion based on their experiences and that's the reason I initially posted however I feel that on these boards, everybody's experiences are negative.

Maybe it's me being gullible however I do believe her when she says she still has feelings for me and that it's just not a good time, hence why I'm currently giving her time to sort it out. I'm not saying I'm going to sit and wait and not take any other opportunities that might come up either though.

She actually messaged me last night and we had a quick friendly chat. Nothing about our relationship, just discussing things we enjoy talking about.

This "what can you do for me now" mentality in society is why many relationships fail. I find people give up too easily. Why would you want to give up if you had exactly what you wanted? It may be a hard road to get back there but it may still be a better road than trying to find somebody else with whom you share a better connection with.

And yes I know she's the one I need to be telling this to and not you guys. I have told her this and she just changes the subject and never actually responds to it which is what makes me think that she knows I'm right but just doesn't want to admit it. (She's a very stubborn person lol)

The answer is YES YES YES...

Look, I am going to leave your thread alone after this post.

The rules I listed apply to EVERY ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP.

If you stop talking to her, move on and date someone else one of two things will happen.

1) She will move heaven and earth to be with you and you will know that she wants that...

2) Or, she will not, and that will be the information that you need.

So after this goes tits up, will you be courageous enough to come back and post that "You guys were all right, is should have listened"?

I really wish you were not so stubborn but you will learn as you get older.

These things are rules for a reason...

• Author
The answer is YES YES YES...

Look, I am going to leave your thread alone after this post.

The rules I listed apply to EVERY ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP.

If you stop talking to her, move on and date someone else one of two things will happen.

1) She will move heaven and earth to be with you and you will know that she wants that...

2) Or, she will not, and that will be the information that you need.

So after this goes tits up, will you be courageous enough to come back and post that "You guys were all right, is should have listened"?

I really wish you were not so stubborn but you will learn as you get older.

These things are rules for a reason...

And again, this is why the majority of relationships these days fail, because too many people have this mentality of letting things go instead of working things out.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it's a problem in general with dating in this age.

PegNosePete
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it's a problem in general with dating in this age.

That doesn't change the fact that this woman is quite clearly not interested in you.

You are beating your head against a brick wall here. You are flogging a dead horse. But, if you want to ignore everyone here and keep on keeping on, then don't let us stop you, go right ahead! Do keep us updated how it goes :) We totally don't mind when people come back and say "you all were wrong!!!"

CantTakeMySmile

In my case, we were head over heels for each other right until things went downhill.

This right here is with every relationship, is it not?!?!

Anyway... no one here knows what will happen with you two. But you came here and asked for opinions. People have you that. And though you are welcome to disagree, there is no reason to negate them, just because they don’t feel the way you do.

Take it the information and move forward. Hopefully, you will never find out these patterns that really are proven.

Good luck. And as long as you are happy, it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks.

While I'm not disagreeing with anything that's been said here, I feel I have to say this:

I'm starting to see why so many relationships fail as everybody seems to only see the negative in everything and seem to think there's no way to fix anything.

I'm not saying things are eventually going to work out between me and this woman but looking at a bunch of other threads, that seems to be a common theme on these forums.

The thing a lot of people need to realize is that while people are normally posting on here because they're going through hard times, there were good times that got these people together as well.

Yes, something changed and brought them where they are now but that doesn't mean what they had before wasn't real.

She dumped you for another

In my case, we were head over heels for each other right until things went downhill. We couldn't stand it when we had to spend time apart. We had such a strong connection and both saw a future that had us together as a family.(When we started dating she didn't want any more kids but eventually she said she could actually see herself having another with me down the road)

And again, this is why the majority of relationships these days fail, because too many people have this mentality of letting things go instead of working things out..

And this overly positive attitude in the face of the evidence is why we, as people who have been on this board for a while, have seen endless people chase broken relationships whilst blinded by the thoughts of perfect second chances.

You're right in that in some circumstances relationships should be fought for but the conditions need to be right. The key word there is SOME relationships. Based on my experiences here, your relationship, I'm afraid to say, is not one of them.

I admire your courage and resolve.... but please..... Be aware enough to know that If you do persevere you will need to draw a line because before you know it, days become weeks and weeks become months. You need to know when to call it a day. Again, that comes from experience.

You're not wrong for how you feel. I used to go out there and bet against all this kind of advcie people were telling me because I wanted to show that love and hope and hard work conquered all. As time went on though, my own experiences started to agree with everything people were telling me. It was truly disappointing. Problem is, there's another party involved. It's not all up to me. I discovered I could be boyfriend of the year, burning myself to the ground to make the other person happy and it wouldn't make a difference, if the other person wasn't all there.

A lot of people do give up too quickly. Many also get into relationships for the wrong reasons. It is a means to escape or bury their problems or insecurities. A way to curb their boredom, or a pastime or hobby to try out their feelings. A person's heart is used as a play thing. Those who were ready to be in something longterm and would have made amazing partners end up ruining themselves being with people like this. Their loyalty and giving nature ends up costing them. They recover, they get back on the horse only to get hurt by someone else for something similar. It keeps on happening to them until they eventually grow cold and become selfish themselves. It all adds up to a very toxic dating culture.

Being mindful and responsible with our feelings and our actions in my opinion is how we minimize hurting others for superficial reasons. Furthermore, if we found a relative peace in ourself and our own life, we'll be less likely to seek the lack there of in others. We'll be less likely to take and more likely to come from a place where we want to share what we have. A place where we can forgive, show compassion, understanding, patience. Both people. Not just one. It doesn't work if one person does this and the other is a taker. It has to be both. That is the place we want to be in going into a relationship.

Go out there and do you and find your own way. If you manage to prove us wrong, come back on here and tell us. Believe me when I say I WANT to be wrong because I'm sick of betting on the negative and being right.

- Beach

Edited by Beachead