The second side of this hell - refer to other bdarlin post for flip-side

You know what else really sucks though...I just had to add this because it was been the final kick to the face of this whole mess. My ex whom I dated all through high-school and into college and I have never lost contact and a couple of times we have talked about getting back together. We have never lost feelings for each other but we were too young for our love and we always said that maybe sometime we would find each other. He has even asked me to marry him twice (most recently I think a little over a year ago) and I turned him down for this guy (lets call him jerk-face). Actually, I thought he was kidding the first time. I have always been completely honest with jerk face about my ex and he said, "do what you have to do". It never bothered him which always seemed that he didn't care or he was very understanding. Anyway, my ex recently got engaged to a lovely piece of work (please note the extreme sarcasm) after a couple months of dating. They are now having problems (SURPRISE) and he has been calling me for help. It hurts like hell but I love him and I'll always be there for him. Anyway, he has been saying things that indicate that I'm still not completely out of the picture. Now, my first thought when all of this started going down was, "what have I done!!!!". I turned my back on a guy who thinks he world of me and would do anything for me for someone who I have to convince that I'm a good person. Coincidently, that same day my ex called to see how I was doing after we hadn't talked for months b/c his girlfriend forbid him to talk to me. Since then we have been talking about every couple of days. (Isn't humanity great!) They're relationship is ridiculous and very unhealthy for him. When I ask him why he wants to marry her he says, "because I want to get married". Anyway, Sunday he called me and asked me to come to where he is (about 160 miles away) because she left him. Of course I went immediately, not for myself, but for him. On the way, I hit a deer which just made the day so much better. Anyway, I gave him some really good advice and it was nice to be with him. Then we went to sleep and we held each other which again was so nice and more comforting than anything (I didn't want to push or read into it too much...we are both in a very bad place right now.) So, we were falling asleep and she called and he went to talk to her and did everything that his other friends and I had told him not to do including just giving her back the ring. He said he didn't even know if he wanted her back but he didn't even hesitate to do so. I then, of course, had to leave and drive back home at around 3:00 am. I think I left the last piece of my heart and pride there.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, that sounds like a movie! What is the flip side?

Seems like he is a little too bent on getting married! Why would anyone just want to get married? How about marry the one you love, or something like that?

Ok, this sounds flippant, but oh well...

You think YOU have it rough? How about that poor deer?