Recently separated

I've met someone who is recently separated with a 2.5 year old son. She has majority custody. We met on okcupid and started talking in July of this year.

She's 33, I'm 35. There's attraction and chemistry from both of us, but with her recent separation, I can tell she's scared or cautious about putting herself out there. She's commented recently about wanting us to "remain friends" and "keep in touch" to see if anything develops between us. But also said that right now she needs "a friend, not someone lusting after her."

We talk a lot, and she has told me that she's seeing a counsellor to deal with incidents that have occurred due to her ex being vindictive and hurtful. I've tried to be supportive, but worry I may end up in the friends zone.

I'm inclined to believe she's not ready to date, but when we talk (which is almost every day), she's very affectionate.

Am I missing something here?

She is not ready. Date other women. If you want to be her friend. Then be a friend and just be chill. Don't start trying to force something to happen.

• Like 1