Probably means nothing, but..

He requested to follow me on instagram. I know it sounds dumb, but he's not following many people- maybe ten? We haven't spoken in at least seven or eight years. The backstory is- we met in college. He had feelings for my college best friend but was always the guy she called over to our house to listen to her cry about whatever guy she was sleeping with. He's a nice guy, and I thought he was cute, but never made a move since he was clearly interested in my friend. Well, a year later, after graduation, I had saved up to travel abroad. At my going away party, he confesses that he's in love with me.

Six months later, I'm back from traveling, and we pick up where we left off. Things were great, between him and I. We got along really well, had tons of chemistry...I cannot even think of a single problem or conflict. I wanted to move away from California, and he said- let's go together! For some reason I decided to move without him, and I shut him out of my life altogether. I probably was afraid because things were too perfect, and I wasn't sure how to respond. I realize that makes no sense, but it's the only reason I can provide for why I inadvertently ended things with him. Overall, I was young and in a selfish phase, and relationships were not a priority.

I moved far away, and he found a girlfriend. I watched the two of them from Facebook, and they seemed happy. I always thought he'd marry her. But they broke up around six years ago. I don't think he's had a girlfriend since. Now I only live three hours away from him. It wouldn't be so weird to send him an actual email.

And for the most dumb part of my entire story. While I was traveling in Ireland, my friends and I had our palms read by this lady in Galway. At the time, she actually was a local legend. We thought- why not give her 5 euro, poor thing is sitting out here in the freezing cold rain. Anyways, among other things she told me that I belonged in Ireland (I agree) but that I'd already met my future husband, I just "didn't know it yet" and it would take me a long time to figure it out. So while I realize it's ridiculous to base your life on a palm reader, I'm going to be honest that I've always ran through an inventory of every potential guy I'd met up until meeting her. I was 23, which means you'd think my list of potential men would be limited, but...not so much.

It's been a decade since my Galway palm reading, and this guy is really the last on my list of potential men I'd met before I was 23. It would be easier to think less of it if my love life since Galway had been successful, but it's been a mess. A giant mess.

Is it stupid to reach out to him? Or should I let him follow my underwhelming instagram account with no communication?

SoulflowerChloe

I may be going against the grain of what others may say, so take my words with a grain of salt. I think you should accept him and if it's weighing heavy on you, you can message him, or respond if he messages you. Maybe something light hearted and friendly. Just go in to the situation without any expectations because you don't know where he is in his life now as far as his relationship status, lifestyle, or even his feelings about you.

Also make sure you are certain on how you feel and that this is not a fleeting moment of nostalgia or curiosity.

• Like 1