Am I overreacting?

Alright so my ex BF and I of five years broke up because I was addicted to Suboxone and I made super stupid choices. Immediately following the break up I quit and went into a recovery program. He truly was the love of my life, no exaggeration, I mean I was over the moon in love even after 5 years together.

4 months after the breakup he contacted me telling me how much he misses and loves me and wanted me back in his life. The situation was complicated due to the mistakes I had made in the past, I had to earn back his trust. So I continued to be clean and sober and bettering myself everyday. He told me it's going to take time to get back to where we need to be, for his family to accept him getting back with me officially.....I figured it would be worth the wait. One night while falling asleep together he kisses me and says "I'm going to marry you one day", at that moment I've never been happier.

9 months pass and it's truly torture not being able to see him everyday. At this point I have been sober for 16 months and my drug use is just a bad memory. But everyday I continue to do my hardest to build his trust for me. This winter has been depressing and who doesn't want to be with the one they love? One day, out of the blue he begins to distance himself from me, telling me he's just depressed. One night I decide to go see him in person to talk about us, what we need to do to get things where they should be. To my surprise he was with another guy!! He met him on Facebook, he's from Puerto Rico and came to visit him in CT while he was on vacation to New York. My ex has completely dropped me for this guy he just met. He made the transition behind my back with no warning and I am heartbroken and completely devastated.

This is the guy I thought I was going to spend the rest of my life with. And he'd rather be in a long distance relationship instead of be with me. After 9 months of having me wait I have no idea who can do this to someone who's been a part of your life for almost 6 years. I mean, I know I made mistakes in the past but truly I don't deserve this.....right?

• Like 1

Snip

*I have no idea who can do this to someone who's been a part of your life for almost 6 years. I mean, I know I made mistakes in the past but truly I don't deserve this.....right?

*He didn't do this to you.

He made a choice for himself, about the way he wants his life to be.

What you have to do now is to increase your health-seeking behaviours, and concentrate on your recovery.

Focus on your own wellbeing.

You'll be ok.

Take care.