Ex GF acts like... a GF?

Question for you all.

My ex GF barely messages me (max once a month.. she sends me pictures sometimes) and we can't see each other often due to distance (tho she has asked me to come visit her). On those rare instances when we can see each other, she acts like a girlfriend, says ILYs, grabs my hand, asks for kisses, gets very intimate. HOWEVER, she insists that we cannot be together. She says its because we have different backgrounds, but really we are living the same lifestyle (and backgrounds were not an issue in the past).

I'm just confused by her behavior. Anyone with similar experience or just thoughts?

She enjoys your company and the no-strings relationship she currently has with you, and wants to carry it on as is. But she doesn't want to take it any further.

If you're OK with that, carry on. If not, you need to move on - properly.

She's having trouble letting go/adapting to her new situation and you're a safe harbor.

My guess is that as she weens herself off of you she will become less affectionate, warm and girlfriend like. If she gets a boyfriend she will likely drop you out of her life abruptly.

She will also not be too kind if you start dating someone.

If it were me, I would bring this too a head and lay down the post break up ground rules so that you don't get caught by surprise.