Calls me after a week of no contact to talk, what does this mean?

We have been dating for 4 years he broke up with me because he said we fought to much and he did not want to try anymore. He clams to not love me but still cares about me. His friends invite me to hang out with them, but I'm there friends too and me and my ex are never there when I go out with them. We have been broken up for one month, the first month I called him to talk all the time and he talked to me saying he felt bad but I needed to stop talking to him. I stopped for one week then he calls me asks me a question, but then continues to chat for the next half hour, he says he has to go and he'll call me back in a few. Never calls me back. Am I reading in to this I stopped calling him because a girlfriend told me that it would make him miss me. I was under the impression he does miss me because he called to chat but he has not called back yet. I would really like a opinion on the next step. I feel like calling him would be to needy, Im not sure if he called because he missed me for a few seconds and wanted to tell me about his day and his troubles in the past week or he thinks about me often. If he calls next time should i answer, and keep the conversation light and friendly like before or should I not answer?

he probably still has feeling for you and is struggling to resolve them and put them in place. it's hard to full the void left and 4 years is a long time.

Honestly - let him wait a bit. he feels he needs to say something (i am guessing) but cant get his will up to say it.