What is up with this???? I really need an !!!?

12yearsin

So work started back up after a summer break. I happen to work with my ex. On the first day we were all to go back I went into his room to see if he needed help. Within ten minutes of being in there he turns to me and ask if we could schedule a time to talk. He said he does not like that we are just work friends and we should be more than that and we should be able to hang outside of work. He said he has been a douche, insensitive and misleading and he is very sorry. He also said there are some other things he needs to tell me, not now but soon. He also said that he really wants me to join his activist group that he is very active in that is basically his family. He went on to explain that there was this really important event out of town and overnight that he really wanted to invite me too but did not feel like he could. He said he wants us to move on from all that stuff from the past. Since he said this he has been extra nice and he's been keeping in a lot better contact with me. This all came after a little over a year ago when he broke things off right when things were getting good at the six month mark. Right after the breakup we could not be around one another but eventually after several moths we became pretty decent friends at work. We would spend as much time with each other as we could, we confided in one another quite a bit and could be seen together at work all the time. The work joke was where you saw one you saw the other and you did not have to bother telling both of us a message just telling one of us was the same. He also complained to everyone that would listen how much he loved the previous year (not saying that was the year we dated but it was) and hated the current one. He even attempted to transfer. It eventually got to a point were our workmates assumed we were back together because we seemed so close. We did not talk much over the three week summer break and needles to say I'm a bit floored by what he has confessed. My question is does it seem like he is trying to reconcile or just strengthen the friendship?