I have open brain surgery in 3 days. Should I tell my ex?

jnmizell

I don't know where or how to begin because this past week has been a whirlwind. To start off with, I met my ex, Michael, when I was 17. We entered a very serious relationship and we were together for 3 years. We talked about getting married eventually, moving in together, having kids, etc. We had a lot of ups and downs in our relationship and a lot of those were because of my mood swings and poor decisions. Everything had to be about me, me, me. I was a horrible girlfriend and I said a lot of things I shouldn't have said. In May of 2012, Michael decided he couldn't put up with my **** anymore. He ended it cold turkey. My number was blocked, I was unfriended on Facebook, I was told I would be going to the police station if I tried to visit them, etc. I began to think it was really over between us. I also began to think I was severely mentally I'll because of what I did and said. Over the next several months, I began to notice a decline in my health. My headaches were getting worse, my memory was shot, I was getting dizzy spells, etc. I just pushed it aside and thought it was stress from school and work. In October 2012, he finally contacted me after 5 months. He told me his uncle died. He told me he still thought about me and even missed me. He was considering taking me back but he needed time to make a decision. In December, he told me we were officially over. I had a missed call from him on New Year's but that was the last I heard from him. Remember those symptoms I mentioned earlier? Yeah, they just got ten times worse. I had 4 blackouts in Ocotber alone but I wasn't going to tell Michael that right after his uncle died. My health finally gave in. I had a seizure last week and was just diagnosed with a brain tumor the size of a large orange in my left temporal lobe, a very delicate area of the brain. I'm scheduled to have very risky open brain surgery in a few days. Is it too much to ask to speak to my ex?

Normally I'd say it's a bad idea, but given your situation... if you really want to talk to your ex, just call him. If he doesn't pick up, leave a voicemail explaining that you're going into brain surgery due to a tumor and you'd like to speak to him. Then just leave it up to him.... don't pester him.

Good luck with the surgery!

-A

• Like 5

Mrs. "No Contact at all costs, and don't you ever break it!" says - I think this is good and just cause.

It may also help you to clarify to him, that this was the reason for all your mood swings and dreadful behaviour. Something you have never denied, but it now seems apparent that the 'you' that you projected, wasn't 'you' at all.

End by saying, "Wish me luck, but I just thought in these circumstances, you would like to be informed."

I hope all goes well for you, and that your recovery is complete and rapid.

All the very best, take care of you.

What others do with this news is up to them. You focus on getting yourself well.

I look forward to you returning and giving us an update.

;)

• Like 4

Yes - do it if you want to! You're about to undergo a risky surgery, I think that if there are things that you feel you want to say or do, you should do them. If contacting him and at least having that out there is something that you want to do, then you should do it.

BEST OF LUCK with the surgery, hon! :love::love:

• Like 3
fungusamungus

This should not even be a question. If you want to talk to him, then talk to him. Now is not really the time to be playing love games with someone.

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis, best of luck in your surgery and recovery.

• Like 1
dreamingoftigers

The particular location of the tumor would relate to aggression and increased irritability.

I'm sure that you will feel tremendously better after surgery.

Best of luck. Let the ex know what's up etc. I think it would be good for both of you.

• Like 3

I think everybody else has covered it well, and I agree - drop him a note, a phone call, leave a message, whatever, but I think it's OK to reach out.

And good luck for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. When you are ready, will you come back to this thread and let us know how you're doing?

• Like 1

Absolutely. Contact him. He would probably want to know.

I hope you are ok and that the surgery goes well.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hugs to you and prayers! Please let us know how you are doing!

It will probably take much time before you get back to yourself. The old you. Don't give up. The brain has an amazing ability to recover but it takes TIME....

A support group may be very helpful, once you feel better. There are some online that you could join too. Not just for emotional support but also for advice on recovery from people who have been through similar surgeries.

• Like 2