Said I'd give him a second chance, but now I'm having second thoughts

Been dating a guy for almost two years, long distance (different countries). He suggested that we become exclusive after our first meeting IRL and I agreed, but the last time I saw him (month ago) I found some flirty text messages from other girls that were recent. Confronted him about this, and he promised me that he would stop and that he was committed to me.

After the trip I still didn't trust him and accidentally accused him of upgrading his old online dating account, which he didn't do (we met on this site and it had this weird free promotion for some of its users). i apologize and we agree to talk about these trust issues but he bails out at the last minute, every time, for ~2 weeks. i get frustrated multiple times and tell him "i'm done." he disappears. after i finally stop being angry and crying, i write him a formal "goodbye" letter so that i can get some closure. he responds and says we need to talk and this time he keeps his word.

He says he didn't think he disappeared for that long and was sick, jet lagged, busy with work, [insert excuse here] but realizes now that he needs to work harder to be with me. says he still wants to be with me but it's up to me. i decide to give him another chance. he deleted his old online dating account and i have to trust that he isn't sending texts to other girls (I'm positive he hasn't met up with any of them). i tell him that i am holding him to a higher standard than i previously did. Right now he's on dating probation, so to speak :p

But i am still a bit apprehensive about all of this, and if i made the right decision. or if i am letting myself be played. Does everyone deserve a second chance? When is it better not to give one? I know to be more vigilant this time and keep some emotional distance, but maybe that isn't a healthy outlook. I think i am in this situation very deep though and it's hard to keep perspective so to have an outsider's point of view would be especially helpful. Thank you so much!