They DO always come back to check in - interesting story...

Just to put it in perspective, a girl I went out with TWICE - only 2 dates, last June - just got back in touch with me tonight. So for those of us thinking we'll never hear from those with whom we were in relationships, this is for comparison.

This girl, while beautiful, was dumb as a doornail. She confused Schindler's List with The Shawshank Redemption, and Mel Brooks with Mel Gibson. I was a gentleman, but was never offered one word of gratitude for either night, for flowers, for drinks, for dinner. No thank you's at all. I even, for some strange reason, had trouble getting her last name out of her. Made out with her outside her apartment, and she flat out forgot that she was supposed to see me for our third date two days after our third. I wasn't feeling it, and I doubted she was, but I went over for the third date, and she kept me waiting outside in the heat while she got ready, didn't even invite me upstairs. I got tired of waiting after the last request for more time, and took off. She also had me driving out to see her for 30 minutes and didn't want to come downtown to see me.

Fast forward to tonight, on the subway, I got a phone call from a number I didn't recognize, and at first I didn't recognize her by name. Keep in mind that I'm comfortably monogamous with a wonderful and beautiful girl right now who is over the moon about me and I have no interest in this other person. When I finally remember who it is, she just asks what I'm up to, and we talk for about 30 seconds before I said it was difficult to hear her and that she should try me later. She tells me to call her back, and that's it.

I may call her back out of genuine curiosity and to give her a couple tips on how to treat the next guy.

Maybe she didn't recall who you were either...

Back in the day, making out was tantamount to being official sweeties, ha ha...

Not really on the mark but it would difficult for me courting a girl who would forget about a date with me... as a web page says "dump the b***!!!

• Author

She definitely seemed disappointed that I didn't remember her...

And I chalked forgetting that third date up to either natural stupidity or her drinking that second night...

• Author

I do still vividly remember how insanely difficult it was to maintain a straight face when I told her Shawshank was my favorite movie, and she started describing the end of Schindler's List. Especially having already been drinking it was VERY difficult...Gosh...

It's like that moment in Naked Gun 3 when every character at the Academy Awards slaps his or her forehead.