Need help w/ EX GF

My Ex-girlfriend and I were going together for 2 years. We loved each other with all of our hearts and did everything together. Her parents loved me and my parents loved her. She even moved in with me for 6 months when she was having problems at home. We have been broken up for 2 months, but during the first month we did everything like we were still together. But the last half she wanted to end all communication with me, out of the blue, which really broke my heart even more. But just this past week we have been hanging out and talking again, but as friends. It is hard for me because I still love her and want to be with her. I know exactly why she broke up with me. It was because I made a lot of mistakes and she would give me a lot of second chances, but I would go and do the mistakes again. Also one of the main reasons why we broke up is she says she doesn't love me anymore, but everytime I talk to her she says she still loves me and misses me and I don't understand why she changes her feelings. I have tried to get her back with me and I have told her I am a changed man, and she believes me, but she doesn't want to get back together EVER. I don't know what to do. Everyone I talk to says either to wait and give her time or to move on. But moving on for me just isn't and option because I still love her and we have been through wonderful times and I don't want to let her go. I just need some advice.

Unfortunately, you lost out on a sane human being. This lady has a level enough head to know there is a limit to the number of second chances she should give somebody until she is totally aware that they are dead set in their ways.

The two of you are incompatible. By your own admission, you made the same mistakes over and over and apparently hurt her repeatedly. She would have to be certifiably crazy to have even the slightest desire to expose herself to that again.

Write her off. It's not going to happen.

Now, you need to get counselling to get to the root of why you would treat somebody you love so much so awful repeatedly that they would never want to be with you again. Until you get that help and get this behavior cleared up, you are doomed to a life of loneliness unless you find a lady with severe masochistic tendencies.

Spend some time alone improving yourself. You didn't give details of what you did but obviously those things were hurting, irritating or whatever. Do everything in your power to eliminate behaviors that could alienate you from your next love. There is simply no way any human being can truly love a person who repeatedly hurts them or makes mistakes that causes them to break up.

This is a golden opportunity for you to turn yourself around. Now, it's your choice. If you choose to stay like you are, you will lose over and over.

Meanwhile, this lady will never take another chance on you. She's done that too many times. Repect her for having the guts to stick to her guns, don't annoy her, and move on. It does get better. But the bigger question is...will YOU get better???

• Author

Thanks Tony for your advice. We did talk about me getting counseling and she said she would help me through it. I am actually getting better. So I may be actually going sometime in the near future. It will take me time to get through this, just like everything else.