Good sign or bad sign?

My fiancee broke up with me almost 3 weeks ago. We were together for a total of 5 years, engaged for 3.

Her mother never approved of our relationship and has always been trying to break us apart. She was emotionally blackmailing my fiancee and my fiancee panicked and just up and left. She told me that it's really not what she wanted, that she wants to be with me, but what her mother threatened to do really shocked her and she needs to get her head sorted out and wants to sort out her whole mother-issue as well before she can come back and continue our relationship in a healthy way. I was devastated, but I thought I'd give her that time on her own because we really want to make it work again after things have been sorted out. I was worried because she moved back in with her mother, knowing that she would be trying to influence her negatively, which she did do, causing my fiancee to turn against me, almost as if she was brainwashed. She has now appologised for it and said that she 'had' to say those things cos her mom was listening in and stuff.

I have now found out that she is no longer with her mother, but working abroad until end of June. She hadn't told me about this, she had left it at "leave it for a little while and then we can reassess our relationship" and she told me she loves me and misses me very much. I see it as a good sign that she removed herself from the negative environment with her mom, it shows that she really wants that time alone to think and find out what she wants.

Do you think this long time apart will strengthen our relationship or is it just going to make us drift apart? I was hoping that absence will make the heart grow fonder...any advice?

lonelypiscesguy

Sorry mate, but how old is this girl? I mean, I cut my apron strings in my early teen years, so I guess I have a difficult time understanding anybody that really listens to their parents (if you can't tell, I am NOT close with my family!). Anyway, I think you are in pretty good stead with her, man! Your future mother-in-law sounds like a real prize! All the best, dude, good luck...

Beautiful Inside

is she can be that easily brainwashed i think your better off moving on now then later down the road her doing something really bad towards you and using that again as another excuse....for example if she was to cheat on you or whatever and her saying well my mom told me to she threatened me. you know you dont want to have these thoughts running through your mind all day cause they will she seem really easily influenced.

• Author
Sorry mate, but how old is this girl? I mean, I cut my apron strings in my early teen years, so I guess I have a difficult time understanding anybody that really listens to their parents (if you can't tell, I am NOT close with my family!). Anyway, I think you are in pretty good stead with her, man! Your future mother-in-law sounds like a real prize! All the best, dude, good luck...

She is 23, but her mom does go to extremes, as in "I'm gonna kill myself if you don't do this and that." That's why she broke all contact with her for 2 years, but then they had to get in contact again cos of some practical issues and since then she's been trying to manipulate her again.

But you think that being away from her mother is gonna be positive for her decision rather than if she'd stayed with her?