feeling hollow without him

Hi everyone, I was wondering if you can give me some advice. It's a little strange but here goes - I have known my ex for 3 years but only started to date him 2 months ago. Basically we started flirting and had a bit of a kiss and cuddle in my car, suddenly he panicked and said "this is too real for me" and asked me to drive him back to work. I felt confused and hurt by this sudden rejection, and even more so when he sent me an email saying even though im gorgeous it couldnt go through with it. At this point i was sitting my finals at Uni, and became rather devastated by it all. Since then I told him that we should be friends ( really hoped he would change his mind, i know having read some of these threads i realise that it was not going to work). So basically i have been begging for him to give it a chance and with each reply he said it was not a good idea. So i continued to email him, listen to his problems etc, then recently it would take him days to resond, making me feel unloved and gross. The final email i sent to him was last week and said i hope i wouldn't have to avoid him etc. He came back with some lame excuse that his internet connection was down and that i shouldnt avoid him. Then i realised how pathetic i have become, i had to ring him last friday down to a uni matter, and he was friendly, but then i hadnt responed to his email in a week. Its been 7 days without me contacting him, and its hell. I just want to know do you think he will come back?