A little upset

KittenMoon

KittenMoon

I just scheduled an appt with a therapist for monday- which also happens to be my birthday and the four month anniv of our break-up.

On one hand, I'm devastated by this. I said I would NEVER see a therapist and here I am. I am beginning to come to terms with the fact that I might possibly also need meds at some point, either for anxiety or possible full blown depression- I've been many shades of messed up over the past 2 weeks.

On the other hand, all these things coming together on one day... I believe when there are too many coincidences that it's not a coincidence at all. But maybe this is just my messed up brain taking over.

Just tell me I'm doing the right thing...

kitten chick

You're doing the right thing. There's nothing wrong with therapy and there's nothing wrong with meds. This is probably temporary for you and you may just need a little psychological work and boost to help you recover. You're focusing on the stigma attached to it rather than the potential benefits. If you're really worried about the stigma attched to it then don't tell anyone, it's your business and you have a right to keep it to yourself. I think this will be a good thing for you KM.

Tim'sAngel

Look at it this way. Now its an anniversary of when you finally got up and said "I'm done crying and hurting, this is the day I do something about it and get on w/my life!" I think you did the right thing!! It's good that you are helping yourself. I see so many people sit in self pity all there lives and do nothing of it. The fact that you are helping yourself says alot about you!! I wish you lots of luck. Smile!! You are going to be ok!! :bunny:

KM,

I think if you've been struggling with emotions or feel a buildup of stress or any other type of uneasy feelings, I would highly recommend seeing a therapist. I'm an ex N.Y. cop who thought nothing could ever bother me. Over the years, I've dealt with being diagnosed with diabetes, my father passing away and having to look after my 81 year old mother, I haven't talked to my brothers in about 15 years. Not to mention I lost friends in the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center. I began to experience feelings of depression and anxiety. I knew I had to do something when I started having these waves of depression come over me. I could be doing something as simple as walking through a store and all of a sudden, my eyes would start welling up with tears for no reason. When I met my gf this past November, I began to feel as if I was turning a corner and things were going to be O.K. I made an appointment to see a therapist the third week in April and low and behold, she and I broke up on the day of my first appointment. At least my timing is on the mark. Needless to say, her breaking up with me was the icing on the cake. Going to the therapist has given me the opportunity to speak with somebody that has an objective position on what's going on in my life. I've gained some insight on how to handle circumstances with my Mom and of course, when I first started going, the therapist concentrated on my break-up with my gf. I had moments at the therapist where I began to cry. It wasn't something I expected to do but it happened. I got to the point where I looked forward to going to see the therapist each week.

I guess years ago, people were always concerned about the stigma that went along with going to a therapist or taking meds. I was prescribed anti-depressants. I don't know if I'm slowly getting over the break-up with my gf or if the anti-depressants are starting to work their magic. I was told they take about 4 weeks before you start to feel better (I'm just coming into the 4th week now). I was initaially reluctant to take them but figured, I don't want to continue feeling the way I do, so I really have nothing to lose. My attitude is beginning to take a turn. Not perfect yet but we'll see how things progress.

**Keep a couple things in mind- You may find that you are either not comfortable with your therapist or your just not feeling better by their treatment. There are times when people change their therapist in an attempt to achieve the desired results. Also, if you do get a script for meds, there are times when one may not work for you and you have to change it for something more suited for you. I hope all this talk isn't freaking you out. Just remain open about it and roll with it. As I said, you may want to put these feelings behind you and break free into a new mindset. You have nothing to lose and chances are you'll feel much better. I've read many of your posts in the past month I've been on LS and was always impressed by your responses to peoples circumstances. I wish you all the best and I'll be floating around!!

Regards, GW

• Author
KittenMoon

Thanks all- I just never wanted to be here. Except that my whole like I sorta felt like one day I would be. Like I was just waiting for the straw that broke the camels back. My break-up is the worst thing I've ever had to deal with. The hardest part is that my ex has no idea how much pain he's caused- his emotions have never and probably will never have the scope mine do. Most of his emotions just translated themselves into anger or frustration (which I know is not uncommon, especially in men).

I hope this therapist works out- my friend recommended her and she's been my break-up buddy through all this, so I'm trusting her judgement.

fabulousgal

KM,

I just got mine today :). I know how you feel, my Dr. said about 6 mos and I could quit them, so I am willing to try them out.

Good Luck!

Sand&Water

KittenMoon,

Yes, you are doing the right thing. Seeing a therapist is good for your well being. And, it's okay for coincidences to happen. That shouldn't keep you astray from your main focus. You should focus on your life, and getting better. In this point in time, your priority should be improving yourself.

I must say though, you're lucky that you were able to find a good therapist. Where I live, I tried to find a good one... one that suites me. But god, some therapists out there really suck! So, I've given up on therapy for now. Might go back later.

Anyways, hope this helps.

• Author
KittenMoon

I just mention coincidences because I have seen a strange line of them since my break-up. Right beforehand, I had bought a laptop to start writing again. After my break-up, I took a writing course to ease my pain. When it neared ending, I got real sad, wishing there was a group I could continue to write with- on the last day of the class a classmate emails me to invite me to join his "secret" writing group made up of a few other class members as well as local authors, etc. Also, I learned not too long ago that a writer I really liked lived only about an hour from me- a fact that later revealed that my teacher in the class (and another member of this writing group) knew the writer I liked and had previously had her as a student!

I think life gives us nudges in the right direction- I feel like I am seeing more than a few lately.

simplymetobe

Hi,

You have received some wonderful advice here and I totally concur with all of it!!!!!

Don't worry about the meds, and don't look to the end of them. Take them for as long as necessary.

I have been through the pain of a divorce, the incredible depression that took over and when I found myself sitting on my living room floor sobbing I decided that that was enough. I went on meds and started to feel a lot better within 4 weeks, that and therapy worked wonders.

I wish you well and I hope the next time I read a post from you, your location listed is somewhere other than what you have listed here. :)