Backsliding...ahhhhhhh

GoingDownSwinging

GoingDownSwinging

I haven't posted in a while, but have been lurking around the board. Once again, I need support from all of you...You can find my full story if you search the board but basically the ex and I have been dating for about 10 months, the last 5 of which have been on and off. Things have been really really bad and then all of a sudden they turn really really good...this cycle has been continuous for 5 months. Basically, I got tired of his game-playing and broke up with him completely on Easter. I felt so good about the situation...he would call and tell me how bad he was hurting and so on. He told me that he couldn't understand why I was being so cold to him (I was acting nochalant about everything bc I genuinely wanted to get over him) This went on for about 2 weeks until last week I think he just gave up. I didn't speak with him for several days and then one night (in an intoxicated stupor) I felt compelled to call him, so of course I did. He answered but I can't exactly remember what he said. I have tried to call him at least once a day (more like 3 or 4 times) with no answer. Its not that I necessarily want to talk about getting back together, I have just had alot going on in my life (aunt diagnosed with breast cancer last week, grandfather in the hospital with a GI bleed). I also sent him an email trying to explain myself, with no response. I feel like I am being punished bc I actually stood up for myself by going through with the break up. I am starting to feel like I made a huge mistake by calling things off. I haven't called him at all today and don't plan on calling, I am just concerned about this emotional backsliding I am doing. Please help!

I think it's natural to second guess your decision. I think that whole now you feel like you can't have him so you want him back thing is coming into play. I don't know your whole history, but maybe he is backing off because that is what you said you wanted. Do you need his support now that these things are going on? If you want it and ask for it, and he doesn't give it, then forget him. But he may not offer it if he thinks you are just using him to get thru tough times.

Now is the time to rely on your close friends and family for support. Even if you think you want to get back with the ex, take a few days and really sort thru your feelings and make sure it is want you want, and not just a rough time where it would be easy to fall back into an old habit.

Good luck. ;)