"Group Dating" and being the odd-wheel

masaki1085

My New Years story:

A friend of mine put together a New Year's party--kind of a fancy, formal affair where we'd get all dressed up and eat wine, cheese, and desserts all night long. Dates were not required, but, of course, optional and encouraged. No one told me that I would be the only one present without a date.

This comes at a time where I have been having some relationship troubles of my own. In fact, I just broke up with my girlfriend tonight. So this adds to the issues present. She didn't accompany me to the party last night, when we could still somewhat be considered an item (long story--but it was all winding down).

Back to the party, I was the only single person there out of a group of 15 people. Most of these folks are my closer friends--all of whom are all dating each other at the moment, and not shy about showing their feelings towards one another in a public setting (not in a gross way, but just in an irritating way). It was one of the most awkward settings I had ever been placed in.

I want to know how any of you deal with situations like these. Most of my close friends whom I do many things with are all in relationships, and now that I've broken up with my recent significant other, it makes it hard to be around my other friends simply because, to be blunt, I envy what they have (hey, I'm human) and its in my face constantly. It hurts, I guess. And there is no particular person I can relate to as far as the single-life is concerned.

Any advice? Input? Thanks so much! :)