usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have

come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide

you with guidance and support, to aid you physically,

emotionally or spiritually. They may seem like a

godsend and they are. They are there for the reason

you need them to be. Then, without any wrongdoing on

your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will

say or do something to bring the relationship to an

end. Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.

Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.

What we must realize is that our need has been met,

our desire fulfilled, their work is done. The prayer

you sent up has been answered and now it is time to

move on.

Some people come into your life for a SEASON, because

your turn has come to share, grow or learn. They

bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh.

They may teach you something you have never done.

They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy.

Believe it, it is real. But only for a season.

LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons,

things you must build upon in order to have a solid

emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the

lesson, love the person and put what you have learned

to use in all other relationships and areas of your

life. It is said that love is blind but friendship is

clairvoyant. And those good friends are like

stars....You don't always see them, but you know they

are always there for a lifetime.

slubberdegullion

You know, while I respect the intent and the feelings, I have just one thing to say to this:

BULLs***.

People come into your life for a reason, a season or a

lifetime.

No they don't. We bump dumbly into one another and create our own reasons. That is as it should be; we do not twitch on strings of some universal puppet-master.

When you know which one it is...

First of all, you won't "know which one it is" because they aren't there for a reason, they are there because they just happen to be there. That, again, is all to the good, and it's even better when we can gain and learn and become stronger because of their influence in our lives.

...you will know what to do for that person.

No you won't. You will learn what do do as you grow and evolve with them. Again, that's positive, because we grow and evolve, as does the relationship, as a result.

yea, I'm grouchy today. I really need to get laid...

People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.

Experience will teach you that inner strength is your most valuable asset.

• Author

OK. So, I take it you don't believe in destiny/fate? :p

That's well and good. To each their own. I understand your response but I guess I fall under the 'spiritual' category. I liked it.

• Author
Experience will teach you that inner strength is your most valuable asset.

I concur!! Which brings me to finding meaning in the opinion of the original composer of this theory. I believe that life, trials, tribulations, are the foundation for building such inner strength. Yes, the people that join in this journey have a lot to do with the perception we each own in making us who we are today.

slubberdegullion
OK. So, I take it you don't believe in destiny/fate? :p

Nope. Experience has taught me otherwise.

That's well and good. To each their own. I understand your response but I guess I fall under the 'spiritual' category. I liked it.

Exactly. I certainly respect your beliefs, and while I don't happen to share them, I think it's positive that you have a faith on which you can depend. So don't let my grumpy post stop you from expressing your beliefs. (I don't think you would, but just wanna be clear...)

slubberdegullion

You too, eh? Welcome to the club! We meet every third Tuesday in Morty's basement. Bring rocks.

I don't like it because it reminds me of all those stupid chain letters people send as e-mail.

I consider myself spiritual, too, but I'm also cynical and slightly curious about the darker side of life. It has more to do with yin and yang than anything else.

As long as it makes you feel good, that's all that matters.

slubberdegullion
It has more to do with yin and yang than anything else.

The Asian couple down the street? Yin and Yang Chan, and their kids Grasshopper and Butterfly?

People come into your life for a reason, a season or a

lifetime.

When you know which one it is, you will know what to

do for that person.

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is

usually to meet a need you have expressed.

I'm not sure I can go with you on this one all the way heartnsoul....

I was in a relationship with a classic Narcissist, I have started reflecting how did I take part in allowing this destructive relationship in my life. Did I welcome

a verbally abusive person it willingly. No. I learned for myself now that it's an insidious form of brainwashing that goes in nanobits and because I was under the delusion "that I was in love" it continued until it got worse and he left me,

plain and simple. I am recovering slowly from a situation that diminished my self-esteem. So according to that quotation: Was there some "need" in me that was calling to be mislead to believe in someone and not see their behavior as destructive towards me. Could I have not learned that lesson another way? Less painful??? :confused:

• Author
You too, eh? Welcome to the club! We meet every third Tuesday in Morty's basement. Bring rocks.

Oh, I'm wayyy beyond taking the rocks to someones basement!! I've graduated to highway overpasses :p I KID!!

West...I hear ya. It is rather sappy and trite. However, I've had my share of bs in this lifetime (as most have) and don't want to live ingulfed in hate and cynicism. It's all too easy to do but finding balance is what I aspire to accomplish. "Negative" weighs too heavy on the soul, ya know.

slubberdegullion
Oh, I'm wayyy beyond taking the rocks to someones basement!! I've graduated to highway overpasses :p I KID!!

Nononononono..., you don't understand. We don't use them in the basement, that's just where we collect them. Then we go to highway overpasses and tall buildings and bridges and whatnot.

note to the literal-minded: the above was humour, not to be taken seriously or with other medication

"Negative" weighs too heavy on the soul, ya know.

I hear you, even though I love being cynical. It's gotten me into trouble on first dates, but those women were too uptight to begin with, so it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

I guess everything does happen for a reason. *snicker*

• Author
Could I have not learned that lesson another way? Less painful??? :confused:

Unfortunately, not. That's what 'life' throws at us. Things often seem like cruel and unusual punishment but that's what the 'bitter/sweet' walk thru life is about.

I burried my Mother at 18 years of age and asked for sooo many years why 'God' saw it fit to do that. There's nothing 'fair' about life. It's the paths you choose to take and how you want to utilize the lessons learned along the way.

I know it sounds too simplistic but that's the truth as I see it. Sometimes the conclusions that we find are beyond any spoken word. It's your own belief system that will make or break you.

InSync....even though this guy was the human equivalent of 'satan' (sorry if too harsh) Can you say that his appearance in your life taught you nothing??

slubberdegullion

I guess that's like my take on astrology: I'm a Piscean, and Pisceans don't believe in astrology. :)

• Author

Teehee....I'm a leo and I WILL fight you to the end of the earth :laugh:

Check out my avatar....I think we could all use (atleast) a chuckle. Hope I don't get sued :bunny:

I'm a pretty bitter and cynical person and, yeah, this reminds me of those annoying chain emails but I do believe there is something to this. I have a hard time letting people go because I'm a sucker and I care about people too much. Sometimes you have to let go of someone who comes into your life because they have served their purpose. It can be really painful to let them go but you did learn something from them and you have to be greatful for that. No matter how good or how awful someone is to you they taught you some valuable lessons and so did their departure. If you don't believe that someone can come into your life to teach you something and then leave, then how do you let them go?

I'm not sure I can go with you on this one all the way heartnsoul....

I was in a relationship with a classic Narcissist, I have started reflecting how did I take part in allowing this destructive relationship in my life. Did I welcome

a verbally abusive person it willingly. No. I learned for myself now that it's an insidious form of brainwashing that goes in nanobits and because I was under the delusion "that I was in love" it continued until it got worse and he left me,

plain and simple. I am recovering slowly from a situation that diminished my self-esteem.

Bad relationships happen for a reason too.

Imagine a guy moves into your clean, beautifully decorated home. He's selfish and lazy. Doesn't clean up after himself - and ends up trashing your lovely home before he walks away having found somewhere to live.

You live in your trashed home for a while, feeling complete despair. Eventually you realise you're going to have to redecorate. You start stripping the walls - and it becomes clear that your home was not as perfect as appearances suggested. Homes never are.

There was a little bit of damp there, and a bit of dry rot there. You rip up the carpets and find out that parts of the wooden floor need replaced. They get pulled up, and you find that one of the supporting beams needs a bit of attention.

Had it not been for the f***er who trashed your home, you might never have discovered these issues that - whilst relatively minor just now, could eventually have caused problems that would have required a great deal of time, expense and attention.

It doesn't take away from the fact that some wanker trashed your home. It doesn't mean you deserved that to happen....but the whole sorry incident did serve some purpose after all. I don't believe any of us are 100% balanced and stable inside - but I think the difficult times, when used as true learning experiences, can lead us that little bit closer to it.

heartnsoul, I think it's a great quote and it's sweet of you to not let the LS wags put you off :) Poor slub seems to be feeling terribly deprived. If he were a girl, of course, we'd all just blame PMS and tell him to eat chocolate.

As you pointed out, the idea behind that passage is to persuade people to draw lessons from the things that happen to them rather than to roll into a ball of cynicism and anger when life doesn't go their way. Whether or not destiny exists, the lesson's the same - don't let life's vagaries get you down.

Now back to the silliness :D Oh, and damn cute avatar :D

Now, wouldn't it be nice to SEE what he's finding sooo funny???!!!

I thought he was just REAL happy about what's in there :D:bunny:

And yes it would. Too bad it's not *that* sort of site :laugh: