Coping isn't the right word...perhaps celebrating?

Wallysbears

Wallysbears

It is hard to find the words to express how you miss a parent, especially an amazing parent.

So many people today have issues with their parents. I'm blessed in that I had a rather ideal childhood. We were far from rich, but I had two of the most amazing parents a child could have ever dreamt of...and a close relationship with both. My Dad, especially, was my everything.

Sadly, my father passed away in December of 2015. I miss him, to my core, every single day since. Not in a way that prevents me from being happy and functioning...but in a way that I wish, so much, that he was alive to be here and living and celebrating life with us.

It is especially hard around the holidays. My father was the embodiment of "holiday spirit". He just made holidays BETTER and BIGGER and more amazing. Decorations, food, desserts. He went overboard. He had the loving and excited heart of a child...and kids everywhere loved him.

I'm a 40 year old happy, healthy, lucky woman....and I miss my Dad. I was Daddy's girl. He was my rock. My safe haven in this world. And my husband is now...and my Dad loved him...but in some ways, it will never be the same.

Hug your relatives this holiday. You never know when the last holiday you have with them will be.

• Like 1

You will and probably already have taken on some of your dad's spirit and will do some of the same things for your loved ones that he did to make holidays and life special for his. By taking on his characteristics, you will miss him less because he will be inside your heart.