Those who have undertaken counselling or therapy of some sort

I am not in US/Europe. In SE Asia, post a breakup and some hard thinking, I decided to go to psychiatrist.

To my shock, he diagnosed me with recurring OCD.

I am unsure how to take this.

Is a psychiatrist's prognosis ever wrong? Should I take a second opinion?

Is there a best way to speak to family about it. This is unsettling. I can't talk to my friends about it, the ex is gone and I need some views. Mental illness is sorta taboo in SE Asia.

Oh and I am stable currently. Not drunk, not self abusive or anything.

SunnyWeather

Is a psychiatrist's prognosis ever wrong? Should I take a second opinion?

I'm sorry you are going through a stressful time, which can exacerbate symptoms. In answer to your questions, yes, and yes.

Did the doctor just diagnose you without giving you treatment recommendations or medications? That would be worrisome. Often, OCD is symptomatic with anxiety. Learning and practicing coping skills would be helpful. CBT and mindfulness practices come to mind. OCD can be managed.

Whether you want to tell you family is entirely up to you. Having the support during this difficult time might be helpful, though without knowing your background I couldn't say whether your family would be able to provide that. Getting a mental health diagnosis, while upsetting, does not define who you are.

I have never heard of reoccurring OCD. In Canada, we do have excellent psyciatrists. I am not familiar with the education in south Asia but often when a Dr moves to Canada, he has to return to school to get educated here. OCD is usually misused as someone who is a clean freak or likes things organized, but it's actually when you have to do the same things over and over again because if anything changes, you become stressed. An example is someone washing their hands over and over again because of germs, or if someone takes the same steps to work everyday and if they miss one then they will go back to make sure they make that step type situation.

Your doctor is human. Of course they can be wrong.

Look you had a break up. It doesn't make a medical doctor to know that is going to be upsetting. Being upset over a situation (the break up) does not necessarily mean you are clinically depressed. True depression is a chronic condition. If it's situational, don't get so worried about it.

Do get a 2nd opinion if you think the 1st doctor was really off base.

• Author

He meant this barrage of obsessive thoughts about farfetched scenarios is ocd.. I thought be recurring he meant it is mild or gets triggered.. He gave options of medicine or other things.. Can't remember was in shock..

I went there cause I thought I was depressed about the break up and was obsessing about it..

Now that I think of it I have been obsessing about things which may happen, ahve not happened and may happen (although the moment is past).

The obsessive thoughts I think have been a part of me as long as I remember..

Ok so believe the diagnosis. But please do take a holistic approach to these symptoms.

A mind body spirit treatment. Realize deeply and profoundly that you are whole and complete. Awaken to the reality that these thoughts are not you, and learn how to let them come and go; like clouds in the sky.

Meditation, calming the body and intention will help.

Sending joy my friend.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with getting a second opinion. My youngest has the type of OCD you described. One of her rituals is being very wary of everything she puts in her body (very concerned about "chemical poisoning") to the point that she refuses medication. Instead, she is vegetarian (organic only) and uses exercise and meditation to cope, and it works very well for her.