LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Breaking Up, Reconciliation & Coping > Coping

Childlessness


Coping Learning to deal with one's emotions and loss.

Like Tree39Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th March 2019, 6:31 PM   #31
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: .
Posts: 1,706
I was 36 when I got pregnant and 37 when my son was born. I wasnít being mean. I speak from experience
Wallysbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2019, 7:08 PM   #32
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
sorry littlebridge if I offended, I didn't mean to
Thanks. This is a very delicate and sensitive subject for me and Iím sure many women. I know many men may have a harder time understanding that.
littlebridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2019, 9:45 PM   #33
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallysbears View Post
I was 36 when I got pregnant and 37 when my son was born. I wasnít being mean. I speak from experience
Iím glad it happened for you. My gf was 36 when she had her first and now has two beautiful little girls. Sheís 4 years older than me now. It happens and I know it can. I just wonder if I will have another chance. Not doing well today.
littlebridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 2:19 PM   #34
Established Member
 
elaine567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 17,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebridge View Post
Iím not on any birth control and he pulls out. Thatís been my method of B.C. since I was 31. No close calls, no pregnancy. So it seems to work well at preventing. So I feel there is a very slim chance that I would get pregnant this way, since itís being ďinterruptedĒ. Weíre not trying, not even close. So my doc says wait until I am.
As time is of the essence then maybe your bf who has never had any kids and is 48 needs to get his sperm checked.
No point in wasting time "trying" if he is indeed infertile or sub-fertile.
elaine567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 2:16 PM   #35
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 155
Maybe so. He said he has no reason to believe he has fertility issues. But I'll bring it up to him, if he has considered being tested. I'll tell him I would like to be tested myself. As far as I know he just never intentionally tried, wasn't married and intending to create a family with the women he was with in the past for his reason of "they weren't the right person and I wasn't ready." I dunno. It's easy for all of us to think there is something wrong with fertility of ourselves or the partner when we don't have children.... when sometimes the person is on birth control, abortion, miscarriage, etc. Just because I don't have kids doesn't mean I can't. And same for him I think. We are having unprotected sex so it is likely to the rate of pulling out that pregnancy would happen, which as I found out is the same failure rate as using condoms. Being that we're both 'older' the chances are less as it is. My doc said until I have physically been actively trying (not pulling out) for 6 months, then she will refer me to a fertility specialist. I've been with two other men after my last pregnancy for months on end pulling out and no BC, once or twice no pulling out, no pregnancies there either. So I don't think it's my current bf. It's not me either according to my doctor... so maybe it's just that we're not trying. At my age it seems a slim chance anyway to get pregnant accidentally when you're pulling out every single time.

This has been heavy on my mind and I mentioned to him last week that I was going through something. I wasn't sure how to put it into words and didn't want to scare him off thinking 'oh she's desperate'... being that the relationship is still early and we haven't even said 'I love you' yet. He knows I want kids soon and he has said repeatedly that he does, without prompting, just stating his vision for the near future. He is already aware of my fear of not being able to have children so he knows how important it is to me. I'm pretty certain at this point that if he thought he was infertile he would be honest with me. I'll bring it up to him in person. It's been hard for me to say to him. Last thing I want is my new bf to think I'm desperate.

I spent time last night with friends around my age who don't have kids and most likely won't... they never conceived at all. My friend is married and 6 months older than me and she has been actively trying to get pregnant for some time. She has expressed sadness that it may not happen for her, or she may be much older by the time it does. I would have liked to talk to her more about it to share in my feelings. She's married and trying, which is much different in the place I'm in though. I've just kind of accepted that I'm most likely not accidentally going to get pregnant at my age. If I do it seems it will have to be a planned event. In the event that I don't, I recognize that I have other peers who are in the same position. I can't relate much anymore to my friends who have kids, so I spend less time with them. I would like to be one of those moms taking their kid to the park and Gymboree and being in that 'club' I feel so left out of.

This is just a delicate topic to bring up to him, although I know I need to share my concerns. We haven't even met the parents yet or said 'I love you'. But yesterday marked 5 months of dating and I am very sure his feelings are running much deeper than what someone suggested earlier in this thread that he was taking advantage of having sex with me telling me what I wanted to hear. It's been tough, guys. I feel very left out at my own family gatherings and with friends, being the single and childless one. I feel like people are judging me, thinking "I wonder if something is wrong with her, and that's why she doesn't have kids. She obviously wants to."

Any other women on here who can relate or know someone who can?

Thank you.
littlebridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 10:45 AM   #36
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 56
LB, my opinion is do NOT ask him to test for fertility just yet. It's insane. I'd have been completely turned off if a new partner asked me to do fertility tests when we are not even trying yet.

After you get engaged or at least date a full year, meet family etc - then it makes more sense. But out of the blue now - he'd think you consider him a step above a sperm donor.

I told you before, you're not old. He's not either, not sure where this whole hype in this thread developed. We're in a similar situation and I'm not rushing it, although I know we'll ultimately have kids. A d-r told me 34, 35, 36 doesn't really make a difference in fertility. Fertility cliff happens after. For men it doesn't happen, it is gradual.

I know people that had kids on attempt 1 and never got pregnant while pulling out. They were also in their 20s. It's not your age, it is using a protection method correctly (not sure why you can this 'unprotected sex'?)
One2Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 3:33 PM   #37
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by One2Three View Post
LB, my opinion is do NOT ask him to test for fertility just yet. It's insane. I'd have been completely turned off if a new partner asked me to do fertility tests when we are not even trying yet.

After you get engaged or at least date a full year, meet family etc - then it makes more sense. But out of the blue now - he'd think you consider him a step above a sperm donor.

I told you before, you're not old. He's not either, not sure where this whole hype in this thread developed. We're in a similar situation and I'm not rushing it, although I know we'll ultimately have kids. A d-r told me 34, 35, 36 doesn't really make a difference in fertility. Fertility cliff happens after. For men it doesn't happen, it is gradual.

I know people that had kids on attempt 1 and never got pregnant while pulling out. They were also in their 20s. It's not your age, it is using a protection method correctly (not sure why you can this 'unprotected sex'?)



I agree with you. I think itís way too soon. After meeting the parents, dating for 6-12 months, talking marriage, trying, etc. then yes it would be a better time. However, I donít see the harm in asking him now whether he may be concerned that he is infertile, since he hasnít ever had kids and heís much older. Iím not infertile, and I donít have kids. The logic doesnít follow. Sometimes people donít have kids because they arenít trying, are using birth control, or having protected sex, or have abortions, miscarriages. Not because of infertility necessarily. Point is, the fact that he doesnít have kids doesnít mean heís infertile. Someone else mentioned full screening for genetic disorders, etc. I would be ok with a special needs child; I recognize the risk of having a child after 35. I donít believe in testing, IVF, surrogacy, etc. I wouldnít be concerned about genetic testing at all If I were ever pregnant. Iíd be thrilled to have any child, special needs or not.

After I had a scare at the urgent care last month, full internal ultrasound, my doctors keep reassuring me there is nothing wrong with me and there is no reason to believe I have fertility issues. My cycle is literally like clockwork and no problems. I stopped obsessing over whether or not I was ovulating. Itís been about three weeks now since I gave up the death grip on tracking my ovulation. Iím due to start my period, which starts like clockwork each month, but I havenít yet.

10 years ago when I was pregnant, I had been on the pill for years. Stopped for one week and got pregnant immediately, and he was pulling out. I guess one time it was just too close, and I was also extremely fertile. As far as pulling out being Ďunprotected sexí, I consider it unprotected, meaning no birth control or no condoms. Itís a very risky method and I donít consider it very safe. Thatís why I said Ďunprotectedí. I guess it works though (sometimes). Not sure how you gauge pulling out Ďused correctlyí. Either you pull out or you donít. I got pregnant before from pulling out. For that reason, I consider it unprotected sex. No barriers and higher risk.
littlebridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 4:05 PM   #38
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 56
Itís not much different than condom use if you use it right - example for incorrect use is if he cums and goes for a second round afterwards without condom again.

How often do you have sex? Itís also a matter of frequency in your fertile days.

As for him being suspected as infertile because he didnít have kids in the past, I find this ridiculous. He may have never tried. Also sometimes infertility is due to incompatibility in the couple (eg your vaginal fluid too acidic and killing his sperm), just there is really no point discussing individual fertility before trying (trying for 6 months). Unless there is something obvious like vasectomy or hysterectomy of course.

How is your relationship with him overall? You said you havenít said ILY yet or met family which I think is fine at that stage, but just curious overall whatís your intuition of seriousness at the moment. How often do you meet?
One2Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 5:10 PM   #39
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: .
Posts: 1,706
If at 5 months you havenít met families or said I love you?

This guy doesnít want a family.
Wallysbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 5:21 PM   #40
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallysbears View Post
If at 5 months you havenít met families or said I love you?

This guy doesnít want a family.
I disagree with this. We don't even know do they have families that live close enough to meet etc. Sometimes just the logistics takes longer than few months, and with aging parents could be rough.

Regarding ILYs, in my experience it happens at 2-3 months, but I've heard people taking longer and still having serious intent.

Heck the only thing that seems very out of place is to discuss having kids before meeting families and ILYs. Seems premature and kind of forced, unless it is just in general terms.
One2Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 8:12 PM   #41
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 155
Geez, Wallybear, you’re pretty tough. Thank you 123 for your defense. Speaking of meeting the family, as a matter of fact, today I mentioned that my parents are having a party at their home this Sunday (about 30 miles north of where we live) and I was going and he was invited. I said I wasn’t sure how he felt about meeting the family, and for me it takes a while to want to bring someone around and wouldn’t do it unless I saw serious potential. His response was, “I’ve been hopeful to meet your family, and I hope to introduce you to mine.” I gave the option of the party with all the family or if he would rather maybe we can plan something soon with just my parents. He said he would love to come Sunday. So yes, we finally are crossing that mark.

His family lives on the complete opposite side of the US but I believe his parents are coming in May. If things continue this way I’m also hoping to meet them. I think I love you comes at different times. Last serious boyfriend said it 2 months in. We didn’t work out so I think the I love you comes at different speeds for everyone.

Sex is 3 or more times a week and our relationship is very good. We see each other three or four days a week. I wouldn’t even be thinking about any of this unless it was something I saw had serious potential.
littlebridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2019, 2:13 AM   #42
Established Member
 
NuevoYorko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,196
Women's fertility takes a pretty steep decline after age 35. Not trying to freak you out, OP, but there is some false information here. The facts are easy to find.

You're certainly not old, but you are at a time in life when you need to make sure you don't undermine your priorities.

So - if you know you want kids and you are pretty sure you will have regrets if you let that ship sail without trying, it is NOT too soon to have that conversation with the guy. Absolutely not. I think you'll be sad if you don't.
NuevoYorko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2019, 3:36 PM   #43
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuevoYorko View Post
Women's fertility takes a pretty steep decline after age 35. Not trying to freak you out, OP, but there is some false information here. The facts are easy to find.

You're certainly not old, but you are at a time in life when you need to make sure you don't undermine your priorities.

So - if you know you want kids and you are pretty sure you will have regrets if you let that ship sail without trying, it is NOT too soon to have that conversation with the guy. Absolutely not. I think you'll be sad if you don't.
I'm well aware of the drop in fertility after 35. When I was younger I used to think if I didn't have kids by 35 I'd adopt. Now pushing it back a couple more years. That's why I panic. Even though at the surface level of my health the doctor tells me no reason to worry. And I hear all the time about women having kids in their late 30s, even 40s. It's possible, sure. But I know it's less likely now than it was. My friend who is married had two kids after 36 and is healthy and so are her daughters. It took effort and months of trying, but it took. Her husband is 40.

A thought on my bf's age... and his fertility or perceived fertility... like me, as he said, he's just never tried. He's not married and he's pretty clear on wanting to be married before having kids. The reason he gave for not having kids in the past is that he wasn't married and as it turned out the women he was with long term did not work out and weren't the right person. We've all made choices that result in not being married, being married, not having kids, having kids. I had the chance more than once to be married, to have a child. I didn't take it, and here I am.

At 5 months in, he's just about to meet my family, a progression and things getting more close... I hesitate to tell him, "hey, I think you should get your sperm checked because I want to have a baby soon" We both have discussed the fact that we want a family and are looking for something serious and long term.. and it's looking like our relationship is progressing. I realize time is of the essence but we don't talk about living together, marriage, or having kids together at this point. It's more like sharing a vision for what we would like generally. He's in the same boat as me as far as age being at the 'old' end for having kids. I personally don't believe he would want to keep pushing that back. That may be an assumption, but it's just what I'm gathering from what he's told me.

I'm still at the point in my mind that we're just dating... it's turning that serious corner, meeting the family to me is a huge step, the fact that he told me he's been hoping to meet my family and is hoping to introduce me to his, he talks about wanting to buy a bigger house this coming year to accommodate more people (meaning a family)... I mean, that is talk, but it's serious talk, and I take him seriously.

I'm just curious for those of you who have indicated I need to have 'that' conversation with him.. what is it exactly that needs to be said?

"I want kids soon and want to make sure we're on the same page about that goal. Is your sperm good? Oh yeah, I want to be married too, what do you think?" I already know he wants marriage and kids. But at 5 months? He wouldn't be ready to do that with me yet, I'm sure. Most people don't move that fast. I dated another long term older bf for a year and he already had two grown children and had been married before. He didn't really want more kids but would have been "open to it"had I accidentally gotten pregnant. Getting married and having kids was not his goal. I was with him for a year and that was enough time to know, I thought. Two and a half years later... I'm 35.

Men my age are either married, divorced and just want to play around, already have kids and don't want any more, or still immature and want to play the field. That's my dating pool now. Last year I dated a 36 year old who was on the rebound and was apparently just out to date lots of different women and didn't want a relationship. He saw I was more settled and wanted a family and it made him run. The hard truth for women in their 30s is that sometimes you have to date older, like 5 years, 10+ if you still want that chance of having your own family, unless you try and rope in someone who doesn't really want that. That's how I see it. I could probably date men my age. I have. They're not in any hurry.
littlebridge is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need tips for dealing with involuntary childlessness in the family shoplocal Family 2 24th March 2016 12:51 AM
Do Women Have Grief over Childlessness? Scottdmw General Relationship Discussion 6 21st January 2012 5:44 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:19 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2018 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.