If You Meet Your Ex

MeadowFlower

I'll be in his city next month. I have read some of the famous NC Guide original post.

It states: "8)Emergency measures: If you run into your ex. If you can roll out before they see you, bail. YOU CANNOT HANDLE what they have to say to you. If you can't bail, wave, smile, roll out (somethings are better left unsaid). If you are trapped and you have to talk, follow these rules A) do not give any info out about you B) do not request info about them C)You are busy, state this nicely, with smile, roll out. You have just saved yourself a ton of pain and you are also mysterious, they think that they're not worth your time (they're not)."

But, is it okay in everyone's opinion, to ignore him. Like if we happen to walk past each other, just say, and we both see each other, can I completely ignore him? No smile, as suggested in the above quote.

fieldoflavender

depends on how the break-up was. Depends if you still hate them.

I have ignored my first ex before in the elevator. He did mean things and I don't see the point in saying hi - what is the point? I hate being fake.

Some other ex's - I think I may say hi back. That's about it. Then walk away quickly.

There's a reason why people should stay in the past.

• Like 1
  • Author
depends on how the break-up was. Depends if you still hate them.

I have ignored my first ex before in the elevator. He did mean things and I don't see the point in saying hi - what is the point? I hate being fake.

Some other ex's - I think I may say hi back. That's about it. Then walk away quickly.

There's a reason why people should stay in the past.

I was meaning initiating the hi. But if he said hi to me, hopefully I'd say hi back. Then grovel at his feet to take me back. Haha, no, not that last bit.

fieldoflavender

I guess you can if you still have somewhat good feelings about them.

For all my ex's I don't have enough good feelings to initiate the hi. The most I think I can do is nod - and one of the them I still have a lot of hurt/hate and I think I would just want to get away from them.

• Author
I guess you can if you still have somewhat good feelings about them.

For all my ex's I don't have enough good feelings to initiate the hi. The most I think I can do is nod - and one of the them I still have a lot of hurt/hate and I think I would just want to get away from them.

But what do you think of ignoring him, like walking past and if we both saw each other, then I ignore him and walk past?

fieldoflavender

You can do that - honestly there is no right or wrong answer. I think if you still have feelings for them - you care.

For me, I may have hidden feelings somewhere very deep for my ex-fiance, but if I ran into him - I would say does it really matter? Sure if I see him with a wife and kids, it would sting - but so what? ultimately it means very little.

I had another break-up this week. I think if you don't care ultimately that much about them - exchanging stuff etc. it means very little even if you see them again. They're in the past - after all that, it's just stuff. It's just a person of your past.

You have to do what works for you.

I'd practice a tight lipped smile / grimace & a curt nod of the head. It's an acknowledgement but very cold & screams leave me alone.

Personally, short of truly awful treatment, I wouldn't outright ignore an ex if I passed by them. What I have usually done, if we're not on speaking terms, is to give a brief acknowledgement (head nod, hello, etc), but that's usually it.

I think blowing them off entirely as if you don't even see them shows them how much you're still emotionally tied to them.

• Author

...shows them how much you're still emotionally tied to them.

Is that a bad thing, for them to think that?