Valentine's Day Thread

MeadowFlower

It's nearly that time. This is the place for anyone to write anything they like about this particular Valentine's Day, if you need to.

Happy Lemming

I'm pretty much ready for Valentine's Day.

I won an on-line auction and got my girlfriend a Red Tourmaline necklace. She likes opals and red tourmaline, which are her birthstones.

I was going to cook lamb for dinner for Valentine's day, but when I talked to her about it, she told me she would prefer something else. Last year, I cooked lobster tails that I found on sale, so I may go with lobster again. If not, I do have her favorite cut of steak in the freezer, so I could always do steak and baked potato.

I'll probably get some input from her this weekend and shop for the food I need next week.

I'll also make a sugar-less cake for dessert, as she is a diabetic.

So all in all, I think I'm in good shape for Valentine's day.

• Like 1

I hate Valentine's Day. There is too much pressure. It's too fake. Every restaurant is overly crowded & only has over priced pre-fixe menus. The price of everything gets jacked way up. Don't even get me started on the price of roses.

My parents always got me that cheesy heart shaped box of candy. Even though I don't like all of the flavors every year I am reminded that they are gone & those stupid boxes make me cry. Still I make my husband get one but on the 15th when they are half price, lol

• Like 3

We are going away for the evening this weekend. We are also going away for the evening on March 1st.

For actual Valentine's Day - I'll make a nice steak dinner for the family with broccoli and baked potatoes. We don't go out that night because restaurants are insane!

I picked up some new lingerie for our weekends away - so that will count as his gift. LOL.

• Like 1

I basically ignore it but that’s because I’m not in a relationship with anyone. However, I really get a kick out of seeing guys at the grocery store on that day walking around with flowers and boxes of candy. They have no idea how cute they look.

GorillaTheater

Valentine's Day, Jesus. Even this thread makes me anxious.

Married for 35 years and am still at a loss when it comes to good ideas.

Married for 35 years and am still at a loss when it comes to good ideas.

At some point during those 35 years your wife told you what she likes. Do that. Ask your kids if you don't remember.

The classics are always appropriate.

GorillaTheater

My wife is one of those "oh, don't bother with getting me anything" types, although I have reason to believe that's not necessarily the case.

Maybe I'll get her drunk.

• Like 1

I am one of those "don't get me anything" types and I absolutely mean it.

Well... I mean don't buy me gifts - here is what I want for Valentine's day:

A clean house and warm and cozy house (that means beat me home from work and crank the heater!)

Take out sushi - I love sushi but hate V day crowds, so put an order in early that we can pick up to go.

Something to imbibe. Maybe some nice wine - or better yet some cocktail makings.

That and a fresh clean, manscaped man that I can enjoy all evening!

For me, my favorite Valentine's day dates have involved never leaving the house. Nor the exchange of any gifts.

• Like 1
My wife is one of those "oh, don't bother with getting me anything" types, although I have reason to believe that's not necessarily the case.

As long as it's on her favorite adult beverage that is probably a great plan.

• Like 2
Every restaurant is overly crowded & only has over priced pre-fixe menus. The price of everything gets jacked way up. l

We ate dinner at a new place (new for us) a month or so back and we really liked it so we booked it for V-day 3 weeks ago, no special prices or menus. They called yesterday- "Sorry but it's Valentines Day and we only have a pre-fixe menu" (which is of course more expensive). We decided to keep the reservations but yeah it's rather low how they gouge you just because they can.

• Author

Is this thread only for people currently experincing a breakup?

I was intending it for those who have been dumped. But others are posting, which they may. ?

We ate dinner at a new place (new for us) a month or so back and we really liked it so we booked it for V-day 3 weeks ago, no special prices or menus. They called yesterday- "Sorry but it's Valentines Day and we only have a pre-fixe menu" (which is of course more expensive). We decided to keep the reservations but yeah it's rather low how they gouge you just because they can.

It's also so that they can hope to keep up with the crowds. V day is often the busiest restaurant day of the year. Those that I know who work in the industry dread it.

So a pre-fixe menu limits the options for the night allowing the kitchen to steam line and crank out plates.

Flowers, candy, and dinner and I’m happy. I usually would get my bf candy, if he liked it, and some other item.

• Like 1

I was intending it for those who have been dumped. But others are posting, which they may. ?

Hopefully what you are realizing is that being coupled up doesn't make it a better day.

Year ago fresh off a November break up I spend a "great" Valentine's day drinking wine, eat delicious chocolate, blasting anti-love songs & throwing darts at a picture of my EX I had pinned to a dart board. By the end of the night I had obliterated his face & all in all it wasn't a bad holiday.

Your basic choices are do something at home to keep your mind occupied or go out & do something, anything, that is not couple-y. Just don't isolate yourself.

• Like 2

I am a romantic but I despise Valentine’s Day. It just seems to go along the whole theme of be nice around Christmas but who cares the rest of the year. I’d have a special day anytime, doesn’t need to be Valentine’s Day.

• Like 1
  • Author

By the end of the night I had obliterated his face & all in all it wasn't a bad holiday.

Hahahaha ?