I May Be Losing a Friend

dazedandconfused2018

dazedandconfused2018

Hi Everyone,

I'm reluctant to post this but am doing so to get my thought out of my head. More often than not, all I've gotten from these forums are judgements. Anyway, I feel as though I may be losing a friend, or more accurately, the friendship will soon be changing. Because of the suddenness (and uncertainty) of the circumstances, I'm having a hard time sorting through my emotions.

I'm have a platonic friendship with a woman I met about 2 years ago at my local gym. Over time, we've become workout partners and good friends. We are open about our lives, share stories, and talk a lot about our families. We are both married with children of similar ages, so there's always a lot to talk about. I've never had a real female friend before, and I'm surprised by how much I've come to cherish the friendship.

Rather out of the blue, her family situation is changing, which will most likely drastically reduce the frequency that I see her. I'm happy for her and her family, but at the same time, I'm sad that I won't be seeing her as much (or at all..who knows?). I've gotten used to her being a happy and regular part of my life, and the idea of that changing or ending is tearing me up!

Right now a lot is unknown, which doesn't make it any easier. In the past when other friendships have changed or ended, they've usually done so in a more gradual "fading away" manner. But this is so sudden. Like a punch in the gut!!

I don't know how to deal with this.

It sounds like she provides more for you than just a normal friendship would. Maybe you are missing a deep emotional connection with your wife and this other woman provides that. That's why you're feeling so affected.

Maybe it can serve as motivation for you to work on developing with your wife what you were getting from this female friend. Maybe you didn't realize it was something you were missing.

No judgment here, but I think feeling a gut punch with this means you felt more than just friendship. That's something you should be honest about with yourself and figure out why.

Would it be correct to assume she is pregnant? Or moving away?

I agree with Finding my Way. This has come to mean more to you than a platonic friendship, and it is important that you reflect on why that is. How's your own marriage? How's your friendship with your wife? Are there problems with communication, intimacy or otherwise?