Coping with successful ex

vespa1979

Hello to you all,

Thirteen years ago I dated a girl in London for about six months when I was 25. She was the first girl to message me and tell me that she was attracted to me, previously I had done all the chasing in my relationships. We were into the same things and she said that she wanted to be a journalist and photographer which was very similar to my line of work at the time. Things seemed to be coming together but I began to take advice off another female friend that we were not suited to each other and things kind of fell apart. Several weeks later I ended up with the friend and she eventually admitted after some years that she had deliberately sabotaged my relationship including sending emails pretending to be me.

Over the years we got married and had kids, by and large I forgot about my first relationship but her name would crop up in every argument and sulk and this would keep the memory alive.

After a particularly difficult week where my wife came home without a job my morbid curiosity got the better of me and I typed my ex's name into the dreaded stalker machine, Google. My ex had indeed become a successful journalist and radio presenter, enough to cover a large area of the internet and successful enough to be paparazzi material in her own right. Immediately the feelings came flooding back that I had just abandoned this relationship when it was going great.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Am I obsessed with a ghost?

Happy Lemming
...after some years that she had deliberately sabotaged my relationship including sending emails pretending to be me.

Over the years we got married and had kids...

Can you clarify, so you married the woman that pretended to be you by e-mail and sabotaged your relationship with the journalist?? That is HUGE!!

No I can't say that I tried to lookup an ex, but I was purchasing a book on-line and some "suggestions" for other books popped up. Oddly, an ex-girlfriend (I had dated 20 years ago) had finished her book and gotten it published. I was happy for her. I did buy her book, but went no further in attempting to search her out or "google" her. Let the past, stay in the past...

(The book she wrote was not about her or her life)

Happy Lemming
I think I found this out years after, not before we were married

OK... I really don't know how I would act in this situation.

I would feel betrayed and short changed a bit. In the end, you don't know if you would have stayed with the journalist or not... The journalist may have dumped you six months after the fact to pursue other interests. I guess you just don't know what might have been. Your wife did take that away from you, though. Maybe I would feel bitter if I were in your shoes, but at this point you have to drop it. The past is the past and you have to leave it there.

Is your wife in the habit of being manipulative or was this a one-time deal?? Just curious??