How to cope during your down time...not sure how to get him off my mind

Hope4thefuture

Hope4thefuture

My boyfriend and I broke up a week ago. We have gone NC which has helped me. I spend time with my boys, family, and friends. That definitely helps because I am busy. I am a first grade teacher so my job keeps me busy. I am going therapy to work on my self confidence and self worth. Most of the day I am doing ok, with moments of a couple of tears and some anger.

However the little moments like driving in my car, when my boys are at dad’s house on his nights, when I first wake up in the morning...are the hardest times for me. How do I cope and stop thinking about him during those times?

I'm sorry to say, it's just going to take time.

You are thinking about him because you need to work through what happened and reach internal closure.

I finally stopped fighting thinking about the guy I'm getting over and realized that thinking through it actually was helping me accept it was over. Trying to block the thoughts was just making things worse. It's been about a month for me, I'm just keeping faith that it will stop at some point.

I do limit the amount of time I let my thoughts stay on him though by engaging in things that require concentration and attention. Your work and your children provide that for you.

It sounds like you are doing well, all things considered. Just be patient and kind to yourself.