our baby kitten

Miss Clavel

died.

collapsed, died.

in front of us.

we revived her, three times. she died.

i lost my ****. my oldest, lost her ****.

i wanted to jump out of my skin or walk to the liquor store in my pajamas. i actually texted my ex. he's in the program too so he gave me the AA talk down. thank my higher power.

last friday afternoon i picked up the kitten at the vet. as i was leaving the tech said she had to have a shot. for a "wound" on her tummy.

i was like, "oh hell no, don't give my dd a termanal annimal so we fall in love and lose it"!

she assured me it was fine, had all the shots/deworming ect ect.

just come in with the kitten every three days for two weeks.

which would have been monday except we could not do it till tuesday. the tech made a face at this but did not insist or refuse. we planned that after tuesday the kitten would come again on saturday. she said no, bring her friday, however i start work hours before the vet office opens and the kids are in school. she offered to keep the cat overnight on thursday and shoot her up on friday, no dice, same schedule.

the vet came out and said, two weeks of shots, not a big deal, or "pick another kitten"??

wtf?? she already picked us the moment we saw her photo *which shows the same eye not all the way open). pick another one??!!

kitten comes home, kids come home, love love love.

kitten doesn't pee or poop for over 8 hours, doesn't know how to drink water from bowl. hits the sand box, learns to drink, likes her food. eats one cup.

eyes look cloudy, one is not all the way open. isn't hitting the food. sleeping more.

kids come home monday, they love love love. kitten jumps down from the bed(not on a frame, on the floor.) walks towards the litter, collapses. dies,

keeps dying.

we take her body to an er for cremation. they ask about choking, foaming at the mouth?, electric cords, poison? no, no and no. collapse.

i'm tramitized. my dd is more accepting.

the kids want to try again, i'm not ready.

Edited by Miss Clavel

Heartbreaking Miss Clavel, it is a traumatic experience, and take your time to grieve.

My cat of 12 years died in a sudden similar fashion in front of us. Vet's best guess was stroke or aneurysm. We each have a necklace with some of his ash. I had raised him from a kitten, but had many good years with him.

If you do try again, and I hope you do sooner than later, I would find a different source. Make sure the kitten is healthy and had time be weaned properly (not that it wasn't the case, just to be safe).

I am not very religious, but I believe if I reach heaven I will get see all the animals which were such good companions in my life, otherwise how could it be paradise?

I bet that kitten will be so happy to see you someday! Even if that is not your belief, or the case in fact, thank you for giving it a loving home for its short life! How sad if the whole of its life had been in a shelter or vet's office.

• Like 1

If it's any compensation ..... the role of pets for children is not just companionship and entertainment, but simple yet powerful lessons about life and its ephemeral nature. Joys. Losses. Love. Helplessness.

My experiences with my many pets over the years has taught me much and shaped me.

You know, there's a poor little rescue kitten in a cage somewhere, sad and confused. May he or she enter your and your children's lives and learn to be a vital part of your family.

• Like 3

I'm so sorry for your pain, that's heartbreaking and traumatic.

I cried reading your post, remembering my last pair. I was fortunate to have them for 17 and 20 years years, but dealing with the loss is hard no matter how long you have them or whether they go on their own or you have to make the decision to end their suffering.

It took me about 3 months to be ready and then I "rescued" another pair of litter mates and they bring smiles to my face every day. I still remember the first pair frequently, they were very much family.

• Author

thank you all so much.

my oldest went and rescued a kitten! she's 3 months. part siamese and we're guessing, part bengal?? so intelligent and active she's already figured out that im running the laser light pen and won't even bother to get up and chase it.

she purrs so loud and while she doesn't "talk" she sure lets you know what she doesn't like. number one on her list is the "carrier" i need to put her in to take her to vet this afternoon.

i now believe that there are so many abandoned, lost, thrown away pets that the cat network is overwhelmed and we are taking her to a modern pet hospital/vet to see exactly what she needs, health wise.

again, thank you for your kind words.

and if you can recommend some toys i can get for her? she seems to find the ones we have boring.

• Like 1
If it's any compensation ..... the role of pets for children is not just companionship and entertainment, but simple yet powerful lessons about life and its ephemeral nature. Joys. Losses. Love. Helplessness.

My experiences with my many pets over the years has taught me much and shaped me.

You know, there's a poor little rescue kitten in a cage somewhere, sad and confused. May he or she enter your and your children's lives and learn to be a vital part of your family.

Yours is the type of post I wish LS had a 'love' button for...

OP- I've lost a fair amount of animals, some like you shortly after bringing them home and the only conclusion I've been able to come to is, for their short time with me I hope they were happy and felt loved.

This is not easy and I am so sorry for your loss:(

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author
I am so sorry to hear about your kitty - hugs xx

thank you. i just can't get her out of my mind.

the new kitten seems to be healthy but i still watch her.

Have you found toys she likes yet? Mine love the little soft balls (I've found them in pet stores, but Amazon has them and calls them "Color Sparkle Balls"). It's like they are playing soccer with them, between their paws and then batting them out and chasing them. One of my cats also brings them to me and drops them in front of me, like a dog playing catch :)

Edited by Finding my way
  • 2 months later...
  • Author

yes! i got those balls, we call them, "crunchy balls". and i taught her to play fetch. i can't say i'd recommend this since she can wear may arm out. she loves it, want's to play for an hour.

she started sitting by the front door and ?smelling? the air from underneath? i don't know? we asked the internet and the vet and everyone says, she's about to start "heat".

so, we took her in and they said she has a UTI and will go into heat any minuet.

they shot her up with anti biotics and scheduled her for a spay thanksgiving wednesday.

how can the operate when "rowdy" is compromised with an infection? does that make sense to anyone?

so, the vet convinced me it has to be done since if she goes into heat she will bleed more during the surgery and will be under anesthesia longer.

she made it through. she has stitches that will dissolve. pain meds and a "collar".

i swear, it seemed like that either broke something in her neck or they compromised her somehow. she didn't seem to be able to see or know what to do in the litter box. she eats and eats tho and she's drinking water.

i gave her the pill, right on time and she got worse. plus she's back at the front door with her belly on the cold tile. i bring her to the bed and she walks right back.

i stopped the meds.

i groom her with a fine tooth comb. she can't reach her itchy parts and seems to like this, when she's not slumped over.

i said f this. i took off the collar.

she's right as rain, happy as ever and except for one or two passes at her belly, doesn't seem interested in her wound, at all.

my daughter says, the cat is smart and she played me. she used the woe is me to get her way!!

anyway, the medicine for pain is called onsior, and i don't recommend it!!

thanks for letting me share.

it takes some getting used to being a cat's servant.

but we love her.

• Like 2