Reality check

CrazyKatLady

CrazyKatLady

I daydream of the days when families meant something in this world. It makes me smile and I remember what that kind of love did in my life.

All the dating fighting, NC, lying, cheating (and folks, I have been guilty of Many things too), multiple dating apps and partners, etc. is just so far South of everything I admired in my parents, and grandparents lives. Were these old couples perfect...heck no, but I admire the guts and dedication it took to stick it out and raise a family.

Maybe I should just do what is right for my son. He deserves my best to make a family unit work. I can be strong for him and find my happiness in his wholeness...I would do that for him-its the best gift I can give him as a woman of faith and courage and strength and love.

Happy Lemming

In my opinion, when you make the following promise...

"...to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part."

It's a promise, it's your word, it's your bond. Our parents and grandparents didn't "throw in the towel" when they hit a little rough patch, they just worked harder.

Teach your son that his word is his bond, it shows honor and integrity to keep your word and work through the trials and tribulations of being married and having a family.

That being said, I never married, but I still keep my word. When I promise to do something, I keep my word and follow through.

IMO the duty of care goes both ways. I will always support a couple trying to work through the more trivial problems in life, because everyone encounters them at some point. But after a point, if one party is drastically and willfully jeopardizing the family (e.g. cheating, abuse, etc), it would benefit even the children for the parents to leave. No child likes a divorce, but the long term impact of watching abuse or a dysfunctional family will hurt them even worse.

Not sure what your context is, though.